1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for the Offshore Oil Rig Guys

Discussion in 'General' started by JTW, Apr 2, 2016.

1. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

a friend of mine's son finished welding school last year and has worked a few jobs but is now looking to go offshore. It's been a very long time since I was involved in the trade and was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind sending me some info on how he would go about getting an interview? PM me please if not wanting to make public.

Thanks!

2. Now is the worst time for anybody to be looking to offshore in 3 decades, literally. Studies say the oilfield hasn't been this bad since the mid 80's.

There are maybe 25% of rigs still working compared to just 3 years ago.

The price of oil really needs to get up to about $70 per barrel....and fast.

3. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

As Broome said, offshore stuff is terrible timing. I'm on the refining side, and skilled welders are still in high demand. Find out who the major contractors in your area are and start there.

4. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Appreciate the info guys

5. Dragginass

What state/area is he in?

6. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Yeah but its not clear when that will be as long as opec et al have any influence

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is he set on oil? The welders that work the outages at the local nuke plant make bank.

Joe Lopez and Dragginass like this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Analysts are saying mid to late 2017 before anyone expects any improvement. I have been in the industry since '87 and it is the worst that I have seen. That being said, once things turn around there will be a serious talent shortage due to older guys retiring and there will be alot of work.

At this point I am just happy that my plane ticket to work is still valid when I go to check in...

9. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

I believe he is in the Dallas area but would have to confirm. I know that he is currently on a job in Texarcana

10. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

No I don't believe he is. I believe he is just looking to go offshore and make some money but if he can do that without have to be offshore then I believe he would prefer that.

11. Looking back on the history of the oilfield, these downturns happen every 6-8 years, and they typically last about 2 years. We are almost 2 years into this one. The price of oil has slowly been creeping up over the last month (already seeing a couple of rigs land contracts). So I am hopeful we have seen the worst and it is on the upswing.

In an effort to keep politics out of here, Ill just say that am hopeful it will improve after the election (I know it will if a certain one gets elected). My dad was in the oilfield since before I was born and he said it always gets like this before a big swing in the candidacy...but then it comes back afterwards.

I think it will be mid/end of 2017 and into 2018 before we see the 100+ dollars per barrel again, but I do think (hope) we have seen the worst and it is on its way up.

I know the general public likes it because pump gas is cheaper, but there are thousands and thousands of oilfield people out of jobs and struggling to feed their families. It is bad.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  12. Exactly. And that is what those of us still in it are waiting for. The worse the downturn is, the bigger the bounce-back. Statistically speaking, on average 30% of the people that get laid off/terminated/etc during these downturns do not come back into the oilfield. So not only will talent be scarce, but everyone (oilfield companies) will all be fighting over the same pool of people.

Which means salaries will skyrocket. The last downturn was in 2009 and when the oilfield bounced back from it, IIRC my annual salary went up about $50k over the first 6 months of the upswing. Not only are companies having to compete for the pool of talent that hasn't been working and are ready to come back, but they also have to make the salaries more appealing for their current employees who start looking to jump ship to other companies who have increased their salaries substantially.

Right now worldwide rig utilization is down 75% of what it was a few years ago. When it does come back, it will come back with a vengeance....and the companies will be competing for us...which means we are in the driver's seat. And that is a wonderful place to be. :)

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:beer:

14. Dragginass

Not to go dungeon, but IMHO onshore fracking will have prices low for the next decade. It's a serious cap on prices when tons of oil comes onine at $75 or less per bbl. Anyway, if he's a good welder he still has a bright future. Stay clean and smart and he will be running his own crew in no time.

15. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I stopped reading and checking prices because I was driving myself crazy...I hope you're right. I've seen it once myself and it's what the guys that have been around awhile are saying too. image.jpg

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

My S.O's sister and bro-in-law had to move back here from New Orleans after bro lost his job.

He was captain of a ship that took supplies to the rigs in the Gulf. When the rigs dried up so did his job. No need to supply rigs when they're not operating.

He's trying to get a job up here in Cincy on the river...barges and what not.

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Onshore mainline construction is still strong. These projects were on the books before the down turn.

18. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Over 100,000 people in Alberta are out of work right now. We need the prices to go up. We are dieing out here.

Hawk518 likes this.
  19. 418

418 Expert #59

Is this that time where us normal folks are supposed to feel sorry for the bastards that were making 3 Or 4 times the average salary for a job they do in the oilfield just because the industry is filthy rich?

Yeah let me break out the world's smallest violin. Welcome to the real world bitches. :D

G2G, rk97 and GSmann like this.
  20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Once I built a railroad, I made it run
    I made it run against time
    Once I built a railroad, and now it's done
    Buddy, can you spare a dime?

Once I built a tower way up to the sun
    Of bricks and mortar and lime
    Once I built a tower, and now it's done
    Buddy can you spare a dime?

Once in khaki suits, gee we looked swell