1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Novice, Expert, AMA Pro racers only...

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannonball39, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Cannonball39

Cannonball39 Well-Known Member

Do you hate to see your "ex girl" with another man? Does that make you a hater, jealous, or just heart broken? Do you wait for the day "she" dumps "him" like she did you or are you the type to throw rice at the wedding and make a toast to their bright future ahead?

Roadracing is my dirty mistress that while I have her in my bed, is the nastiest, freakiest, most demanding, blood sucking, manic depressive, bipolar braud EVER and I look forward to being patted on the back by the fellas for even dealing with her crazy ass, hoping that those that even look her way think twice based on my stories so I and only I can be "THAT GUY!!!"

Then, once I dump that mistress, i.e. once roadracing has broken my heart, my bones, and my pocket, I practically DARE anyone to date her based on how much of a bitch she is and give them that "you saw what she did to me" shoulder shrug indicating that only an idiot would date that lunatic....

This ends up being a classic, selfish ass example of "HEY HEY, LOOK AT ME!!! I'M A SUPER HERO... A ROCK STAR... I'm stuffing Angelina every nigh!!!" until I am no longer and become un-interested and now become a...

HATER.

For me... I only love the motorcycle/roadracing mistress while she's in my bed... Once she's torn me apart... I'm like, "fukk her and all that fuck with her."

Unfortunately, I am not alone. When there appears to be a great number of roadracers that are in and out the sport in less than 2 years only to stay in touch via a bbs account or a few views of mylaps to see who's doing what, it's no secret that when you land on your ass, all broke up, pockets tore to shreds, etc, that there's a bitter taste left in your mouth and it shows via the lack of involvement.

If roadracing and being on the track is all that... Why aren't their more "broke" roadracers staying in the game on a vintage machine or an SV or something inexpensive since they love it (roadracing/track) soooooo much? Why aren't they popping up at trackdays at the blink of an eye? Why aren't roadracers/ex roadracers filling the venues after purchasing 10's/100's of tickets for all of their co-workers, friends, and family to spectate even when they aren't competing?

I guess in the end, without a true opportunity to "make a little pocket change", motorcycle racing in the U.S. is only relevant to those that can benefit from it, here and now and until there is more to gain while actually participating AS A COMPETITOR, the potential players will continue to sit on their coins while spectating occasionally and the "has beens" will start yet ANOTHER salvage bike shop out of their garage, a race plastics company or online parts and accessories store.

Bottom line is that if ex racers are selfish, become detached, and cant become fans i.e. fanatics about this wonderful sport (beyond inexpensively staying attached and up to date via the internet, cable tv, and/or a magazine subscription)... Why should anyone else?

2. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

You know it took years for me to come around but after much harping, uh, constructive criticism, from my wife, who's a saint by the way, I did finely start cutting the Folgers half and half with decaf and I found it really did help...

3. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I found my true love, heroin.

Actually I ran out of money once and had a kid the second time around but that doesn't sound as cool.

4. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

It was a real toss up...

5. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

It's my wife and it's my life.

6. yardsale

yardsale Member

well, my experience when I was in the military and too poor to buy a dirtbike, is that it's easier to forget when you avoid it all together. I lived within 45 minutes of budds creek, and never went to a national there. If you go spectate, it makes you miss it more.

Racing is definately an addiction, and ex addicts of any kind have to avoid the places/people/situations that they were involved in in order to stay clean.

as for me, gimme another dirty needle, I'm ready for race season to start back up!

7. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

:stupid:

8. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I'm not a good spectator. I don't watch people having fun... I like to have the fun. I have only attended one National event in 8 years of being close to the sport. Even then, I watched it on the big screen. :) TV offers far better coverage.

I believe the majority of racers quit because of their EGO, money is way up on the list as well. Also...I believe some racers, perhaps many actually start racing because of their EGO. When people realize what it takes to run up front... a decision has to be made. Do I want to compete at that level or do I just want to have fun. That's just my opinion but I see much evidence of this daily.

9. ton

ton Arf!

because addicts need new addictions. so they throw themselves into whatever the new thing is and move on...

10. LongDogRacing

LongDogRacing Well-Known Member

But really, what could possibly be more addictive than this?

My wife ENCOURAGES me to do it. She sees how much of an outlet and stress releaver (sp?) it can be. Even if it's one day a month during the season, then (she says) I'm a much easier man to live with and enjoy.

I don't know what I'd do without it.

11. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

Plus, there's that whole life insurance thing... :D

12. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

:stupid:
    I've been quitting every year for about 9 years.
    "The shit just keep calling me."

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  13. vonstallin

vonstallin Я - Ребенок Люциферов

worst than crack....

[​IMG]

14. :stupid:

I played baseball from 5yrs old through college...and can honestly say I have never attended a game i wasn't playing in and have probably watched a total of 2hrs of it on TV.

If i ever quit racing, i dont think i could watch it. Hell, it drove me crazy watching the Endurance racing at the GNF's. Even though i knew i would be out there the next day, i was still pissed at them for racing when i wasnt and felt like an addict in need of a fix.

15. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I'ver raced for 20 years but I'm still a fan. I go to a couple of pro races a year, watch it on TV, and would plan to continue if I had to quit.