1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JustAnotherSquid, May 24, 2021.

1. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Good advice thank you. Any recommendations on a good gauge and where to get it calibrated?

2. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

If u ask nice, the trackside tire/suspension guy will let you know how much your gauge is off...

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

or any tire shop with a control gauge.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

6. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Watched your crash video and the next one of your pre crash laps.

You were going faster in the crash vid in T7 than in the other times by far. The fact that you don't recognize that means you haven't developed the feel and consistency needed to run fast laps at the edge.

You were on the throttle earlier. Possibly opening faster. Well before the apex.

All this adds up to the following situation: You were turning 11k rpms while on throttle and adding lean angle while approaching the "tightest" part of the turn without attempting to pick the bike up.

I would even say the tire might have communicated with you if you listened. Sure not loudly... but you went into that turn with your eyes wide shut. Meaning you thought you were far from the limit of your package when you should have been listening very carefully. A loss of adhesion like that is likely not gonna give you much warning regardless of tire you chose...
    Why? Because of the large cornering component of adhesion the tire was maintaining. Your little slides out of corners in the past were well past apex and likely on the "fat" part of the tire. You slide here and the tire slips and grips. On the "edge" you slip then slide...

But yeah, I still didn't answer your question... the thing is your question is the least important thing, IMHO.
    And I would submit that you really don't want to know what you now claim you want to know but what troubled you after the crash in the other forum... namely why u crashed when you thought you did nothing differently.

7. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

A race tire might have very well covered up your error in technique and saved your crash... but that's not making you a better rider.
    I know that's not what you asked....

Or you might not have had enough heat in a race tire and made it worse... who knows

8. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

9. stangmx13

10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

duc995 and stangmx13 like this.
  11. stangmx13

The Basic is about 2x more accurate than the MotionPro. So that’s good. But I think fast track riders and especially racers need a little more accuracy.

12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I can see that for you fast guys...but I dont think I'll ever be fast enough to notice a 0.8% difference in tire pressure. :(At 34 psi 0.8% is 0.272 psi. :eek:

gapman789 and duc995 like this.
  13. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This is where the question of accuracy vs precision becomes relevant. (Think guns, too).
    Accuracy is hitting the correct number; precision is hitting the number repeatedly.
    Accuracy can be accounted for; only a real POS would be so imprecise as to be worthless.

As a side, Eddie Lawson is reported to have been able to tell a 1/4lb difference in tire pressures.

Badger911GT3 likes this.
  16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

When are we getting NIST-traceable gauges at track days?

17. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

At 24 psi it was reading low 1.1psi. I did write it on the gauge, but wifey heard me bitching about it the whole race weekend so she overspent and bought me that $300 gauge from Italy. First tire gauge I have ever had to read the damn instructions on how to use. But now it’s dialed in and I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. stangmx13

Oh man, that Prisma gauge looks FUN!

05Yamabomber likes this.
  19. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

She got a sister? Tired of u yet? :Poke:

05Yamabomber likes this.