1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about Ducati Monster. good years and bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by breakneckPace, Jun 24, 2014.

1. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

Since I've come to learn that there's way more knowledge and experience on the beeb than I'll ever have I'll reach out to it once again. I'm thinking about getting a wife a used Monster, preferably the 600, to ride around on and replace her 250 (so I can turn that into a race bike) but I've heard some of the years that bike wasn't the most reliable thing out there, just not sure what those years were. Anyone out there know what years the monster was a good bike and what year(s) to stay away from when looking through the used section?

Thanks again for the help, mighty beeb. :beer:

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My brother and I both have 2001 Monsters...his 900 Chromo and mine 750 Mettalic. He has 26K on his and I have 11K on mine with not one single problem. And we abuse these bikes, him way more than I. He kept his in a shed during this suck ass winter and it fired right up first try this spring.

In my book they are damn near bulletproof.

3. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I have an older 99 M900. It was the last of the carbed versions. It has been super dependable too. 14k on the clock without issues.

Reliability on the motors depends on how hard they were ridden The valves will stay pretty much spot on unless you're banging the high RPM's..........which you don't need to do on the big twin.

I've had FCR 41 carbs, a 944cc kit, and DynaCoils put on about 10 years ago, and the thing still runs amazing!

4. rd400racer

Pic of the two Ducs

[​IMG]

My brother's Chromo is a mean machine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  5. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

53k on my 2001 750. Valves haven't moved since 20K. The 2v Ducati's are as dependable as a rock.

6. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

a wife or your wife? it makes a difference you know:rolleyes:

7. SamS

SamS Well-Known Member

I had an '03 Monster 620 for 15k miles without any issues, and now have an '06 S2R1000 for 6k miles without issues. I did have a gas tank bracket replaced under warranty for the plastic tank expansion due to ethanol fuel though.

I'd suggest the 620 over the 600 for the fuel injection, but either should be fine if maintained.

8. breakneckPace

hahaha. for MY wife. good catch, I should fix that.

rd400racer: those are some nice looking bikes! :up:

9. breakneckPace

thanks. I'll definitely go with the fuel injected model. I just wasn't sure the exactly cc of those models, and I don't want to get her anythign TOO big

10. rd400racer

Thank you sir. We call them our Italian Harley's...the customization available is amazing.

11. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

yes

12. breaux

breaux Well-Known Member

I've had a number of Monsters over the years. A 620, an S4R (996 motor), and an S2R 1000. All of them were extremely reliable. Only exception being the plastic tank on the S2R.

If you're looking at the 620 go with an '04 model. The '03 had a 5 speed gearbox and the '04 got the 6 speed. The '04 was also the last year with the metal tank. You want the metal tank...trust me.

In '05 they started going to smaller discs/calipers up front and the plastic tank. So the '04 is preferable.

Also, if you're looking at the 620 you may as well look at 800's from the same time. Same chasis and such but a little more motor.

You want to make sure you get the RED key with the bike. Its needed if you want to deal with the immobilizer and ECU.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Now that's proper mileage. :up:

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I'm with RD. I had an 800ss which had the same motor as (whichever year) Monster and I couldn't kill it. I beat that bike to death and it wouldn't die.

15. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

The wife has an '09 696 that's dependable and a lot of fun. She LOVES that bike.