1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about '01 GSXR Clipons

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tim503, Nov 27, 2003.

1. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

Re: stock '01 GSXR750 clipons:
    Okay, I know this is probably a really dumb question, but is there really any reason that I should leave the little bolts that go up through the stock clipons up into the upper tripple in there? The reason I ask this is that I'd like to rotate the bars just slightly rearward (just a personal preference thing). Part of me thinks that if suzuki put those little bolts there, they must not be confident that the bars will stay put just under the normal pressure of the other bolts. The other part of me thinks "none of the aftermarket bars have these extra bolts, so screw it... toss 'em". Then again, most of the aftermarket bars seem to have a wider and more substantial area that is "pinched" by the normal bolts holding the bars in place on the fork tubes. I might just be being paranoid, but I'd really hate to have a bar work loose on the track. :eek:

Any opinions? Should I just trash the little extra bolts and reposition the stock bars, or just break down and get some good aftermarket bars?

Tim

2. Cedric Smith

Cedric Smith Active Member

clip-on's

The lawyers made them do it. If the pinch bolt is tight it won't slip. I've done many stoppies on mine and never had a problem.
    Also, I've never seen an aftermarket bar that is lighter than what Suzuki has. You don't need it.
    Cedric.

3. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

you can remove those little bolts. if anything you should remove them. if you crash and those little bolts are in you stand a greater chance of twisting your upper triple clamp. so remove them and put them in a comfortable position. just make sure the bolts on the clipons themselves are tight. although, its not a bad idea to get aftermarket clipons. i like the two piece clamp that www.woodcraft-cfm.com uses.. and thats what i have. but the vortex are nice too. i also like my clipons to be set very wide apart. the stock position was too narrow for me.

and aftermarket clipons are far lighter than the stock suzuki ones. i have yet to see a set of aftermarket clipons that are heavier than the stock ones so i dont know what the guy who posted before me is talking about.

4. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'll pull 'em out and reposition.

On the subject of bar width and aftermarket bars, I agree that the stock setup feels too narrow. Are the cfm and/or vortex bars longer than the stock ones? I like to have the bars angled a little further to the rear than stock, but if there's a way to make them wider too that would be great! Also, when you mount the aftermarket bars, where/how do you mount the master cylinder?

Thanks for the help! :)

Tim

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

problem with removing that bolt is that you end up with only one bolt holding clip on.if this bolt gives up bar will rotate.it has happened many times.
    I personaly would never use clip on with only one bolt holding it.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Tim- In reference to the master cylinder, you probably mean where to mount the remote brake fluid reservoir? I use Woodcraft clip-ons on my SV (same style as GSXR's) and I simply tapped a small threaded hole into the top of the clip-on clamp, bent the "L" bracket from the reservoir and secured with a small bolt.

In the event of a crash it's not unusual for the clip-ons to rotate on the fork tube (which sometimes is a good thing). This way the reservoir rotates along with the brake lever/master cylinder instead of tearing off if you had mounted it to the upper triple clamp as some guys do.

7. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

yes the tubes are longer. i have mine set up wider than stock, as well as further forward for a wider grip overall. its great having the extra leverage. as far as the brake fluid resevior i turned the stock aluminum mounting bracket upside down and ground off the little nub that was on it and reused it.

8. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

Right. That was what I was thinking about. Fluid reservoir, that is. Thanks for the ideas on mounting. I have some clipons on the way right now. The more I think about it, the idea of only one bolt holding the stock ones on there just really is scary. I remember a story a few years ago about a guy (at tgpr, I think) who had a clipon break during a race and the result was really bad. I don't think he races any more. Anyhow, thanks for the help guys!