1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pw50 ?'s

Discussion in 'General' started by jwb, Jul 26, 2002.

1. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

well, i finally got the little woman pregnant and so the hunt is on for a pw/jr/xr 50.
    i am going to look at an '86 pw50 this weekend and was wondering if they have changed much over the years. what am i going to be losing by getting an older one (besides the obvious wear and tear issues)?
    which mini bike do you all prefer?
    thanks in advance for the help.
    john

2. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I'm a honda freak, but I prefer the Honda Z50's. They're damn near indestructable. It isn't uncommon to se 20-30+ year old z50's still running strong. It's not going to have as much power as the 2 strokes, but this is also why they are more reliable/last longer. They'll still scoot at 30+mph with an adult too.:)

Shane

3. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

Congrats on the new additions!

From 1981 - 2002 the PW50 parts are interchangable only the colour of the plastic changed. The forks tend to suffer as the grease (no oil) gets pushed out and then they seize (At least the one I bought did that) I found a used set of forks put in new grease and away the kid went. My oil pump is also disconnected so I run premix in it.

4. MikeM

MikeM Well-Known Member

We dig our's (91). Did have it rebuilt. There is no cushion. They either run good or not at all. I put the Honda 50 handle bars on it (taller). Then you lose the rear brake. There is also a wide variety of 10" scooter tires for them. Boysen makes power reeds. All plastic is interchanable. 3 colors(blue,white or pink). Have fun. We all ride this one.

5. Pitlizard

Pitlizard Well-Known Member

PW 80!!! I bought one for my 8 yr old son - and it's great. It hauls butt even with the governor on. It hauls his dad around like he's nothing and he's 6' and 200 lbs.

I paid for it enitrely by myself and have not regretted the purchase once.

6. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Where have you been "woman"?

7. Pitlizard

Been moving and being a wife, and a nurse and oh yeah... entertaining out of town guests.

8. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

A wife?? Something we don't know about yet?

9. Pitlizard

um, no, not yet. :)

10. ZebProctor

ZebProctor Well-Known Member

I'm looking at an ad for a 2001 PW-80 for $1100, with only 50 miles on it... is that a good deal??

11. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Don't know, what do they cost new?

I paid $450 for my, I mean my daughters PW50 back in 99.:D

12. Pitlizard

I paid $1235 for a brand spanking new one about 3 months ago. So that's sounds like a good deal to me Zeb. I love the PW80. Has more power and a better size for both my son and I.

13. ZebProctor

someone told me the pw sucks and i need to wait out for the yz 80? some other two letter thingy, i can't remember it....

14. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

What do you want it for? That would determine what you need to buy?

15. ZebProctor

1: a dependable pit bike
    2: a fast mini bike

16. ZebProctor

is a pw a 2 stroke or 4?

17. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

18. ZebProctor

BBOOOO!!!!! "automatic clutch".... geez....

19. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i've heard you can pre-mix the gas inb those, and then put methanol in the oil pump. and then the really rip!!

20. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Brad, it still wouldn't be enough to haul yur a$$ around:D