1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting a kickstart on a Honda FT500 Ascot?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by andy342, Jan 6, 2003.

1. andy342

andy342 Well-Known Member

Anyone done this? How do I go about it?

2. still novice

still novice Guest

You will find that kind of info on Thumper Page
    http://disc.server.com/Indices/18441.html

the only question is WHY? if you're gonna race a big thumper, you'll need rollers! Take it from someone who had to kick start......

3. RB

RB Well-Known Member

You may find that honda did not machine the center cases for the kickstart shaft.

Ray

4. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Probably the best advice I got on the subject was to buy a XR bottom end and put the good stuff on top of it.

Nomad

5. 512V

512V Well-Known Member

Andy342,
    Putting a kickstarter on the Ascot is a simple bolt on deal.Did it about 15 years ago.
    The center cases have the cavity for the kick starter shaft machined in.
    All you need is the assembly from an XR 250 or 500.You can machine a hole in your side cover ,or use XR250/500 side cover.Bolt pattern is the same,just make sure you use parts from same years.
    Also get the valve cover from the XR 500,and you will be able to use the cable operated compression release.It really helps on those cold mornings
    My Ascot had the 591 kit with 12.5 Wiseco with milled head and was sometimes hard to start on very cold mornings.It also helped to put the bike in gear and roll it backwards until piston came up to compression.That way you had a little more travel before compression tried to stop the piston.
    If you use rearsets heat the start lever with a torch and bend it to clear the pegs.
    Tom

6. andy342

This is all excellent information. Now all I have to do is find the XR250 or XR500 parts.

As for why: This is my ice racing bike. I have found bumpstarting impossible. And the electric starter doesn't catch all the time.

For the time being I will probably rip into the stock electric starter, but I would like to have a kicker asap.

7. still novice

still novice Guest

Andy
    It just might be cheaper to get XR or XL500 motor. They are alot more available and more reasonably priced. I'm not sure about the valve diam, but the gear ratio is definately different from FT500. Its wider (from what I hear), but should be fine for ice racing.

8. andy342

bump

I have since repaired the electric starter. But I would still like to locate an XL/XR500 motor for the kick components.

9. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

I have a 83 XR500 motor. It has some valve train damage (the damn rockerarm pivot backed out)but lower end is fine. Make me an offer.