1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA- Tighten UP!

Discussion in 'General' started by JoeR, Aug 15, 2017.

1. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

Did this to mine too and both my clip ons were loose.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Blue loc-tite, a torque wrench and safety wire are your friends. Never (knock on wood) had this approach fail yet.

Murcielago311 and SuddenBraking like this.
  3. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post. Another reason I need to get a "pre flight" check list before I hit the track (pun intended".

4. Ah ok. Thanks. :D

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Mark @TLR67 had the right clipon come loose in T6 at Road Atlanta the Sunday before last.

Maybe it was the summer heat?

6. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

Altho it isn't a replacement for physically checking bolts in regular intervals, they make an enamel you can apply to the edge of bolts/fasteners that are not regularly removed often. It will show a crack if the fastener moves at all, or the mark will be completely misaligned if it starts to actually loosen. My company uses it on some non-tampering applications. But it can also be used to visually verify quickly the fastener is still in place. Nail polish work decent as a cheap alternative but the industrial stuff is pretty nice.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I want to apologize to the 2 people I passed going in that turn too... I was like oh yeah...... Then OH Fu^%#k! I just pulled in the clutch started to stab the rear brake then went off in 7.... The bolts did come loose . They were vortex clip ons.. Wired now.. Glad it wasn't turn 10a

8. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

:D I thought the same thing .:D

9. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Torque stripes.

Use it on all my rifles. Very smart. Allows a quick visual to see if anything has loosened. You'll see it all over your bike from the factory.

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Maceo!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11. PeaPod

PeaPod Well-Known Member

Not me, but this is why you want to make sure your clip on is tight.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Go to the very end to see the incident.

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

This happened to me on a mountain bike.

Was going downhill fast, went to grab the front brakes and for whatever reason the clamp holding the handlebars had came loose. The bars were the kind with a dip in the middle, so when I hit the brake while leaning on them they rolled forward a few inches.

That made me squeeze harder on impulse, locked the front wheel, and launched myself over the bars. Got pretty lucky I was moving at a good clip. (not 100 though that's gotta be rough)