1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA pay attention to the FLAGS people!!

Discussion in 'General' started by roy826ex, Apr 5, 2016.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

As you were taught each one has a meaning and a purpose. Especially the RED one!! Corner workers don't sit out there all day for nothing and when they are waving a RED flag the racing is over at that point. Get a leg out, arm up and come off pace gradually don't chop the throttle.

You asked why I'm even mentioning this? Well I was almost the victim of several guys that were not paying attention to the flags being waved and were still at full race pace. If not for luck I might be typing this from a hospital bed or worse a loved one might be typing it.

I won't go into a lot of detail with names and numbers because the guys that committed the offense did get a ear full about it from the Wera officials afterwards directly after the incident. I will say this I am the only one on track that saw the red flag, threw my arm up rolled out of it and gently to offline right of track. I did something I don't normally do during a red flag is that I looked over my shoulder and that is what saved me. The 3 novices behind me, 1 in front never saw a red flag and apparently thought I was waving at a corner worker. All 3 behind me barely missed me on the left by inches. I nearly fell off the right side of my bike trying to veer from them. I will never forget that moment of impending doom and anger at the same time. I first saw the red flag entering T5 and acted accordingly as one should. No one was immedietly behind me, I was the only expert in the race the other 5 were novices, 4 of them provisionals, one down in T16 was the red flag issue. 3 behind me, one was directly in front of me who didn't acknowledge the red either at T5 he continued on through T6 and beyond at race pace.

This happened between T5-T6 and as flat as Nola is I watched them continue to all race each other after almost mowing me down until at least T13. The red flag incident was in T16, so see this was just plain stupid. Plenty of red flags waving from T5 until T13.

Wera doesn't tell you over and over in the riders meeting about the importance of a red flag procedure because they like to hear themselves talk. Pay attention out there it's not all tunnel vision and racing the guy inches in front of you. The corner stations should be in your peripheral vision at all times.

Carry on

dsmitty37, MXjunky, 418 and 5 others like this.
  2. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Glad you are ok Roy. I'm sure that was a scare and a half!

3. roy826ex

Yes Dave it was quite the moment. I was livid at the time it happened but several corner workers on my way back to pit in reassured me through gestures as I passed their stations it didn't go unnoticed. I was headed straight to race control until I got to pit lane and noticed Jay the starter on the day had all the offenders lined up on pit road with the red flag stretched in front of them. I was asked at what point did I first see the red flag, I said entering T5. Offenses confirmed from that point forward.

Speak of having a third sense, I still don't know what made me take a peek over my left shoulder. Glad I did though.

12v_dub and DaveB like this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

You want us to be PC in the pits, pay attention to red flags on the track....what is this...knitting with fuzzy kittens??

Yeesh!!

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Bingo!

noles19 likes this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

damn. i wouldnt buzz someone w/ their hand up even if there wasnt a red flag.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Takeaway? If you are the only expert in your race grid behind them and let those novice fookers go, tag along behind them.

9. roy826ex

I did let the first cocky one go but the others were way off my slow pace :D

V5 Racer likes this.
  10. Umbrella girl #1

Umbrella girl #1 Well-Known Member

Roy.. I was sitting up in the tower and watched the whole thing. All I could think was thank you god
    I could not get down out of the tower. Jay really handled it quite well and he explained the RED FLAG
    to them so I don't think they will ever forget it again. Sorry for the problems and I am glad you did
    not get taken down.

11. roy826ex

Hey no problem Emily I took a slow ride back to pit in on purpose just so I could cool the mind down. Initially I was very hot over it as one can imagine. Yes Jay did a super job on pit road with the guys. We all learn from our mistakes and I hope they won't soon forget that one.

12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I think they need to rock a giant cock n balls sticker on their helmet and bike for the rest of the year

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Damn Roy glad your ok..... Its just as bad IMO when they put up a arm and creep back at kickstand speed......

14. joec

joec brace yourself

For that matter, it's crucial that everyone know what all of he flags mean for every organization they race with....some use flags differently. So go to the riders meeting, and pay attention!! Peoples lives are at risk out there.

V5 Racer and roy826ex like this.
  15. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

One thing I could never understand, how the fuck racers just ignore flags. Its not like they are throwing flags for no reason. My last year driving the crash truck for CCS(2011) we had a guy IGNORE a debris wave off flag from T4 to T1. Some workers were literally standing at the edge of the track trying to get him to stop. He ended up crashing hard and 2 other guys crashed in the oil he dumped. Medflight was called.

And as to riders meetings. It would be nice if ALL racers actually attended. Usually only half show. Some car racing orgs DO take attendance at the drivers meetings and if you aren't there, well you dont race, you get no refund.

16. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Do you need to go to a riders meeting to know what a red flag means? Unless there's an org. out there that lets you keep racing under a red flag, riders meetings have nothing to do with it.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Well actually, there's more to a riders meeting than just red flags....I get it, red flag is universally the same, but there is often an unusual issue, mud in a corner, no passing in a certain corner...etc

18. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

Sometimes a red flag means stop at the next corner worker. Sometimes it means circulate and finish your lap then exit.

19. Not with WERA.

Nor with any of the track day orgs down here.

20. Agreed. Riders Meetings are very important. I have only missed one of them since I started racing (because my stomach was messed up) and it aggravated the hell out of me. I was so worried that I missed something. So I had to go around asking several people what all was said.

The only thing I hate is that they are held during the lunch break. I know there is no other time to hold them, I am just saying that it really causes issues sometimes. I end up being one of the last practice sessions, and I am also in the first race (and 2nd, and 3rd). We have to make sure all of the bikes are ready, get tires changed and warmers back on, make setup adjustments based on feedback from practice, nail down a tire change schedule based upon the wear we are seeing, all of that kind of stuff. Then of course I also need to eat and hydrate and I would like to be able to relax and cool off.

But I am just out of my suit and stuff and they are making the first call for the riders meeting. Then by the time we get out of the riders meeting, then there is only a little bit and they are making the first call for the first race. Of course I have to get my suit and everything back on, piss about 7 times, change my helmet visor, stuff like that.

So what ends up happening is that I have to rush to put my suit back on and get ready, and I haven't even been able to sit down or eat. That has happened several times.

I know the response will be something like "nobody told you to race 3 bikes" and/or "there is no other time to do it". I get that, I am just venting.