1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA.. insure your stuff.

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, May 2, 2018.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Seeing a ton of bike thefts lately. N8 Kern had his trailer with all his stuff stolen from a hotel (got some back sof ar). Every week i'm seeing posts on FB about dirt bikes being stolen

I just insured 2 new/near new ktm dirt bikes $109 a year for theft. With $5k additional ad-ons ($3k is automatic, can do up to $20k in ad ons), I did $250,000 liability (have to get liability, but $10k is the min required, only $7/yr for the $250k coverage). My 2 r6's with $5k extra ad on's was $318/yr. (total, both bikes, would have been $400/yr for $10k in ad ons).

Finally found a co. that would do it after calling a lot of places. Safeco is owned by Liberty Mutual. John is the guy i spoke to at 844-423-8885 for new quotes.

bacolmm likes this.
  2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Haven't kept up with Kern.......what was he able to recover? Either of the bikes? Trailer?

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about insuring race bikes or street bikes?

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

probably all.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Answer E - insure everything.

tony 340 likes this.
  6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

My agent told me I couldn't insure anything that didn't have a license tag on it.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

he/she would be wrong.

8. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Same here...

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

+1. Time to look for a new agent.

All my street bikes, racebikes and the '18 polaris turbo is with foremost. The rzr isnt street legal but have 100/300 coverages, comp/collision/theft, accessories, etc...for $248 yr, for just the rzr

XFBO, TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  10. MELK-MAN

RACE bikes.. dirt bikes. They need to have a VIN, and they require liability, but it's cheap. Can go with state min (FL is $10k liab but i upped to $250k for a few bucks a year more).

I have Liberty mutual for my trailers, and my f150 and excursion, but i had a hell of a time getting someone to do non-street bikes, without collision. They would do the r6, but it was $1000 a year or something stupid as they kept wanting to insure for street use, but Safeco was bought by LM and they cover bikes for non-street use, and it's too cheap to not have.
    I covered 4 dirt bikes (2 are near new) for under $200/yr (the 2 ktms that are new were $109), then did the a 2011 zuma, and two 2008 r6's with $5k additional stuff, for $390 yr.
    Covers em for any theft, anywhere.

bacolmm likes this.
  11. MELK-MAN

most i called told me same. Finally about the 3rd time i called Liberty mutual (as a friend had a bike theft COVERED by them and i have truck and trailer policies with them), someone there put me in touch with their sister co. Safeco. Done deal.

12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Another suggestion is a GPS for the trailer. If Nate had had a GPS this would have ended alot more quickly. Most thieves these days will stash the stolen property (aka BOOTY btw) somewhere while watching it for a while to see if it's being tracked. Also Nate was lucky the Amarillo PD actually gives a shit and started looking. When my buddies trailer was stolen in Daytona a few years back, the Daytona PD was like "you know how many white trailers are driving around during bike week?" Basically- good luck and thanks for comin' out.

Everyone on the FB feed is asking about cameras. I don't get it- the only thing a camera shows you is a nice video of your stuff driving away. It's not like they are going to sick the FBI on the case and do some fancy video analysis....

ToofPic, MELK-MAN and Phl218 like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For regular auto insurance that is correct - however you can insure all of your bikes and equipment and tools and trailers and everything with either an off track/storage race policy or an inland marine policy. Inland marine is what we use for all the WERA equipment and pit vehicles. Which reminds me, need to check on the trailers when they're at the house.

14. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Nate just found his shit.......................CONGRATS awesome

15. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Who do you use? Because every time I try to insure a non street bike, they tell me to fuck off. Fortunately I have been able to get state farm to do it usually, but it's always expensive. Sounds like I need to all that Safeco place to start

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think we go through the same company that handles our liability and excess medical. Started off with K&K when we used then. I'll ask the boss if I think about it.

You should be able to get it through any decent insurance broker though, inland marine policies are ridiculously common.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

There are some powersports specific insurances available out there if I recall.

18. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I just watched the video. Awesome for him.

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Would be hard to make that HP4 disappear.
    Did they catch the guys too or just found the bikes/trailer?

20. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

He got at least one.....found the shit bag on the bike and it was GP shift so he was lost and smoked the clutch but he Got caught YEAAAAAAAAAAA

shitbag should get a shit beating