1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protest Bump to Expert?

Discussion in 'General' started by JoeR, Dec 3, 2015.

1. JoeR

JoeR Well-Known Member

I was a bit surprised to receive an Expert bump letter in the mail recently. I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure what to do, and figured you guys could use something to argue about in the off season, so I came here for suggestions.

Here is my racing history, as you can see it isn't very extensive:

http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerprofile.asp?x=1098&rid=30552863447588

Unlike a lot of folks here, I never rode motorcycles as a kid since my parents hated them, but got into doing trackdays around 2008 after college. Did a dozen or so of those at the local tracks, but then took a few years off to focus on work and other grownup stuff. Finally decided to do the race school in late 2013 at NOLA, a bit of a spontaneous decision I made while visiting my folks in Baton Rouge. In 2014, life got in the way again so I never made it back to the track until Summer of this year. I raced with WERA at Road Atlanta and then the GNF at Barber, the two tracks I was familiar with from doing trackdays. Had a blast racing and got pretty good results despite being a bit unprepared, so I was looking forward to making a serious run next year in the Novice class. Figured with a little work to the bike and a lot of work to my physical conditioning, I had a shot at fighting for wins next year and eventually earning the bump to Expert.

Then came the bump letter in the mail, which was cool but sooner than I planned on. From what I've read on here, it's an automatic thing if you podium at the GNF and up to the rider to protest if they think it's a mistake. So was it a mistake?

Getting a white plate has been a goal of mine ever since I decided to start racing and found out what it was, but I want to feel like I've earned it. Is it fair to take it after only a few races? Will other racers feel like I shouldn't be there, or feel like it's unsafe? I feel pretty comfortable out there around other riders. I did screw up the starts at RA, but learned from my mistakes and didn't have any issues at the GNF. I haven't crashed or even been off track in any of the races so far (one DNF at NOLA was mechanical), so although I like to push my limits a bit, I don't think I ride over my head.

So second question, assuming it's ok to go Expert already, do you guys think it's a good idea or would I be better to do a full season of Novice first? Although I would love to be at the pointy end, I'm not that concerned about being a expert back marker. I'm more concerned about the financial side of it. I was hoping to supplement my race budget with contingency money, but that is going to be hard to get in the Expert class.

I don't have any realistic aspiration to go pro or anything crazy like that, maybe do a "pro" race down the line as a bucket list thing, but really just hope to become a "fast" veteran club level guy and ride as long as my body/wallet allows. What do you guys suggest?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Write a letter to WERA asking to stay novice another year. List why and they will consider it.

3. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

What Dave K said. Write the letter, soon.

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

4th out of 24 the GNF? Quit sandbagin and race with the big boys. You'll learn more and do it quicker. I was a bit nervous too but just go for it. With thoseveral results you might be a mid pack expert in a weekend or two.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

email the office and ask.
    It works :)

6. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

One of my buddies got 2 novice championships his second year. FWIW, he was more proud of his first podium as a white plate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. JoeR

JoeR Well-Known Member

The question wasn't CAN I protest, I already knew that. The question is SHOULD I? You guys saying to write the letter, is that a polite way of saying I'm not ready?

CPETTIT-I'm not really nervous or looking to be Novice Champion of the World, it's more about the bump being accepted by the other racers, and really more about the money to be honest. If contingency weren't involved, and everyone didn't have a problem with it, it would be a no brainer for me, take the white plate. But one of the reasons it has taken so long to get into racing is that I'm trying to do it without breaking the bank, which is hard when you are doing it all by yourself while still trying to do things like buy houses, invest, save for retirement, etc. If I can podium a Novice race, at least my tires are paid for. That is a big deal for me. But I also want to compete against the best and challenge myself to be the best rider I can.

How soon until I have to write WERA to protest? I assume there is a cutoff?

8. baconologist

I didn't read :(

Where would your GNF times have put you in expert?

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What these chuckleheads are saying makes not a damn bit of difference. What do YOU think?

cpettit likes this.
  10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

If you can hold your line and feel safe getting passed and passing, take the bump.

11. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

i think its more fun racing mid/back pack expert than leading a novice race by yourself.

TLR67, Gorilla George and GixxerBlade like this.
  12. JoeR

JoeR Well-Known Member

LOL, I kinda figured. TLDR eh?

I was running in the 1:36's by the end of the weekend. I think I could've gotten into the 35's if I needed to, but the Novice frontrunners were in the 34's and I had no chance of catching them. I still have a lot of work to do before I'm anywhere near dominating the class, but if I did bump, I don't think I would be the slowest expert next year.

13. JoeR

JoeR Well-Known Member

Not to sound like a douche, but I don't have a lot of experience getting passed so I don't really know how comfortable I am. In fact, I don't think I've been passed yet in any race (except for turn 1). My low points standing caused me to start pretty far back on the grid, usually near the back. Anyone who was faster was already ahead of me and stayed there. I rather enjoy the passing part though. ;)

14. baconologist

sounds like it's all about being where your comfortable. If that's staying in Nov so.....

15. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

If you protest and you stay novice but start winning races they will probably bump you up then you'll have zero points as an expert half way through the year.. And personally I would prefer to be passed by an expert most of them are pretty experienced and not trying to win practice

16. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

I am on the side of bumping up. With your finishes, I think it warrants a bump. Like the others stated, you will learn a LOT more practicing with the experts that you ever did as a novice. Just go for it!

lanehammond likes this.
  17. rhouck

rhouck wat?

Take the bump. You DID earn it. No one will think you didn't deserve it, given your results on a MW bike at the GNF. And you will learn a lot more, a lot faster. AND be surrounded be more talented and (usually) cleaner riders.

And planning on contingency money is silly. Say you do protest the bump and sandbag in Novice for 2016 -- then what happens in 2017? You quit because you won't be earning contingency money?

18. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Your whole Wera career is 12 races over two seasons. Protest the bump, run a full season as a novice, get some real experience, and then go expert. Nothing wrong with enjoying a little tire money while you do it either.

If you run just a couple of weekends and win all the time, then you're a sandbagger, but I certainly don't see that right now.

Good luck!

Boman Forklift and kanatuna like this.
  19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

It's all a bunch of BS anyways. Do what you want. When I started doing TD's, all I wanted was to be in "A" group. Started racing when I was "I" group, then I didn't care about advanced group, and wanted the white plates and drooled at the thought of being AMA material. After a few WERA races, getting into Advanced was a shoe-in but I didn't care at that point. Wanted my white plates. Got my white plates, and in the process, saw some of these jokers with white plates and "AMA" sewn on their suits.

I've had enough points for MotoAmerica since last year, but it doesn't mean a fucking thing. I've passed a handful of red plates this year while racing WERA. They just have more money to piss away for MotoAmerica.

It's funny to see how my views have changed, now I see so many track day hero's and I think "Who the fuck put you in advanced, you can't hold a line to save your fucking life and you're running 43's at VIR...go back to Intermediate". Now white plates don't mean shit to me, unless I know they are one of the consistent pointy end of the grid people. Only thing I think when I hear "expert" is "the ability to hold your line and be consistent"

dsmitty37 and roy826ex like this.
  20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Whatever you decide, just have fun. That's really what club racing is about anyway....fun. :)

cpettit likes this.