1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prevent exhaust pipe/bodywork burn-through?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by T748, Apr 28, 2003.

1. T748

T748 FMF SV Pilot

The lower part of my fibreglass bodywork is up against the exhaust pipe and is starting to blister/blacken the paint. Is there anything out there (like muffler wrap, maybe?) that I could wrap around the pipe at that spot that would keep the heat off? Obviously not a lot of clearance. Or maybe I need to make a standoff bracket?

2. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

I just put a piece of muffler wrap on the bodywork at the spot where the pipe was causing the problem. Taped it on there with that "high temp" tape that you get at the same place they sell the pipe wrap. Works just fine. I've had it on there for a long time now with no problems.

3. flagboy

flagboy Well-Known Member

4. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

I just about forgot to mention... I tried just using the high temp reflective tape alone and it didn't work for me. It cooked the tape into little cinders then started burning the bodywork again. It looks like from the other thread on this subject that the tape alone works for some people though. I guess it all depends on different factors. My pipe actually lightly presses against the pipe wrap I have on the bodywork, but the wrap does it's job really well and it doesn't turn anything brown or anything. I just put a long enough piece of pipe wrap on there that would allow me to tape it down far enough away from where the pipe touches it so the heat doesn't burn up the tape. Maybe an inch or two away. YMMV. :)

5. T748

T748 FMF SV Pilot

Thanks - I'll check out the hi temp tape and see how that works.

6. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Sorry that I failed to mention that, Tom. I had planned on getting some wrap, but always forgot by the time I got to the track.

7. Bricef4

Bricef4 Active Member

I wrapped my pipe with heat wrap and taped a few pieces of it to the bodywork itself, and that seemed to do the trick.

8. gypsy99

gypsy99 Well-Known Member

I have an sharkskinz/M4 SV which everyone that I have talked to has been battling this very issue. This is what I tried and still had the burn through: Thermo shield on inside of bodywork, exhaust wrapped/ceramic coated exhaust. I am thinking of trying hose clamps to hold the exhaust wrap in the place of the safety wire hoping to have the adjustment screws. I will probably attach a aluminum bracket under the hose clamp to hold the bodywork out a bit. I need to do something to preserve the great paint job by Shadetree Engineering, staying on the track will also help I am sure.