1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prefered shock/fork setup 450 flat track

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pfhenry, Nov 29, 2020.

1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

been looking at a bunch of flat track dirtbike shit recently...

really the shock is my main question for the length and i know the spring is shorter.

any setup tips would be appreciated even overall length differences fully assembled

2. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Good luck on your quest. Either I didn't ask the right people or information isn't readily shared in that group.

If you're wanting to do it yourself, check out Race Tech. I dropped the front and rear equal amounts, which was 4" if I remember correctly. All new springs, spacers and some valving stuff.

https://racetech.com/page/id/148

pfhenry likes this.
  3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Eric

Are you using the same SM450 for flat track that you are road racing?

tks
    M

4. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I am, but it's permanently set up for flat track now. I'm having a lot of fun with it, when I'm not crashing...

Good hearing from you, Mark!

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

You too man! - hope you are surviving all the Covid nuttiness.

I was just curious how hard it would be to take this mini SM I built flat tracking too! I may be bugging you about this! lol

6. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

What kind and size bike is it? One of the most fun classes is the "Mad Dog (Dawg)" class. Around here the rules are pretty simple. 150cc max, air cooled engine. There's some wheel restrictions too, but I can't remember them off of the top of my head. I think you can run a knobby front tire, but you have to have some sort of on/off trail tire or flat track tire on the rear. That class usually has a cash payout too. Look up a local to you race promoter and see what the rules are there.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Kaw 140L, I've swapped to 17" SM wheels and beefed up forks and shock for my fat rump ala BBR springs and fluid.

I have a few more toys to add ( pipe, carb upgrade and 170cc big bore kit) at some point.

8. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I was looking at getting one of those. They're fairly popular in the Mad Dog class. I ended up finding one of these Sunday Motors mini flat track bikes at a decent price though.

http://www.sunday-motors.com/sunday-flat-tracker/

JFM38313-1800x1200.jpg JFM38384-1800x1200.jpg

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

675365DB-0C57-4E10-902B-26183A2AC5DF.jpeg
    Eric! that thing is so cool!

here’s mine

E Reed likes this.
  10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

@E Reed - I may need to come to TN sometime when you're doing the flattrack thing and check it out.

Where I am at its 2-3 hours where to nearest flattrack stuff in IN or IL - just as easy to go south.

11. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

There's not much around here either. There's a little indoor place in Shelbyville, TN that they run 1 or 2 events at a year. The other tracks that I've been to are at least 2 hours south of me. Beaver Creek Speedway is a nice track. It's outside of Huntsville, AL. https://thebeavercreekspeedway.com/

RRP likes this.
  12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Copy that. I'd like to see that mini flat tracker in action.