1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-Fab Metal Garage

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave_SV, Dec 11, 2018.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

neat stuff. I kept freezing the vid to get some more details on the process. One thing in the construction of the rooms the walls have to be fire rated. Vid shows them hoisting finished mods into place. Also looks like they are using some kind of membrane between the ceilings/floors. I would imagine the top floor construction is slightly different for the roof assembly. Also its only 3 stories with no elevator. That saves a significant amount of inspections.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Fast Fred....I remember seeing quite a few of those corrigated Q-hut barns collapsed back in '93. Had a 30" snow and they crumpled right up. If you build a traditional pole barn make sure to put the 2x4 purlins edge wise across the trusses.

3. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Great info, thanks for taking the time to post.

I have a decent sized garage currently set up as a work shop but my friend and I rent a storage unit to store the bikes, gear, spares, etc. and to park the van and trailer. The idea is to build a place instead of renting the only problem is not going crazy with the scope.

In the perfect scenario my neighbor across the street would sell me his place which includes a 4k sq. ft. garage on 13 acres but I don't have a spare 1.5mil laying around :(

4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I've seen examples where the concrete elevator enclosure is clearly seen, as modules are stacked around it. But yes, most sites are under five stories and/or < 200 rooms.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I appreciate your concern, Jack, and it doesn't go without due consideration. I have investigated SteelMasters deep enough to have confidence in their products. They are a class above and, perhaps, beyond.

There are a number of Q-hut MFGs and, as I mentioned earlier, some of them amount to no more than beer cans. Unfortunately, without the name of the MFG, we can only assume...

These are SteelMasters. The XX model in the first and middle pic of the top row have their highest snow-load rating, the third shows two Q models. That thing in the fourth pic that looks like a snow covered rock with windows is also a Q. Snow.jpg

[​IMG]

These are not SteelMasters...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. fastfreddie

May I suggest, highly, that you spend an evening on the SteelMaster website. There's a ton of info...look at everything and anything. I had e-mailed specific questions using their contact page and they telephoned within 24 hours...it's how I ended up with the scale drawings.

If there were one other building method in consideration, it's this, Durisol.
    Jetson Green - A Different Kind of ICF from Durisol

I will never build, own, live or work in another stick-built house, shop, garage, trailer, etc. I'm frequently on the lookout for acreage until then - AZ, LA, NC, NM, PA...

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I am other way around, no steel. They are ugly and don't age good.
    I have shipping container in my yard for storing junk stuff. To much condensation, anything steel in there rusts worst than keeping it outside in yard.
    Cheap way is to get 2 shipping containers, space them and than put roof and siding over them.

8. fastfreddie

Here ya go... :D
    Shipping Container Roof System Kits: Prefabricated Steel Roofing

Proper ventilation and insulation are your friends in any structure.

SteelMaster's panels are GalvalumeĀ® coated. They say 30-year warranty on their buildings. The steel mill, ArcelorMittel Dofasco, says 25 years and six months on the coating after shipment from the mill.
    Imma have to check the discrepancy further...not sure what SteelMaster means by "building warranty".

9. TWF2

I will wrap my with wood siding and shingle roof, will look like shed.
    Good side of shipping container is no foundation or slab, can be sold or moved any time anywhere and in my area no permit needed.

10. fastfreddie

I was on a container kick some dozen years ago...had various plans/layouts, etc.

You don't need a foundation for Q-huts and no permit here either if it's on above-grade blocks or gravel skids. Once you start with a slab or cement below grade, then it's permit time.
    Good side of Q-huts? You could pack dozens of 'em into a container. I could prolly get a 50x50 into my 7x14 v-nose.
    That's mobility. ;)

11. TWF2

No it is not. That is work :)

pscook and ChemGuy like this.
  12. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

I need to figure out something like this also. Bought my house with 2 acres and the intention of building a shop but the local places tell me bare building (no insulation/electric/plumbing) for $30sqft. That's $72k for a 40x60 (about the smallest I'd want to go) and I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a bare structure.

13. fastfreddie

What would you do if you move, knock the roof off and drink beer while it burns?
    :beer:
    I think I'd try to haul the boxes out from underneath, while it's burning...more potential for awesomeness. :crackup:

A 40x60 slab could be $20k-$30K.

Live in Amish country? Total labor for a structure's cheap cuz they'll knock it out in no time. Same if they do the slab. You'll be up and running in a week, dontcha know. :D
    A friend had his bare, two story tall, 50x50, metal-skinned post and beam with two overheads (a 14' and a shorter one) and a man door thrown up for $28K.
    He didn't have the money for the slab so he DIY-ed the floor prep and gravel before the building went up. It's been up for a year or so and still no slab. He gets caught up in other projects. He is workin' that garage, just not as conveniently as he'd like.

14. Skter505

Unfortunately no Amish near me in Arizona. I've heard around 14k for the slab and the buildings Ive seen online and called about are around 20-30k .That leaves 30k in labor which seems pretty steep to me.

15. fastfreddie

You'd think a hungry labor force could be found in your locale. <shrug>

16. Skter505

I definitely need to keep shopping. There are so many houses around me with shops and I know not everyone one is paying that much. I've considered the container route also, even if just temporary and to double as storage space.

17. TWF2

Better start building, shit is getting more expensive every day.
    This is 36x50, footing, slab and retaining walls cost me $25k. I got another 10k in to dirt moving to level it. It was all hill and had to bring dirt from bottom (see pond coming up on right side). So, 35k and have not even started framing :)

Attached Files:

Skter505 likes this.
  18. Skter505

So you're going stick built? How high on your walls? I was considering going that way if I built smaller only because I think it would be easier to build myself over a little time.

It is hot and dry where I am so don't imagine I'll have too many issues with condensation/rust. My father in law has a 40x40 steel building with insulation only on the sides and doesn't have any issues.

19. TWF2

11 feet walls. I am in desert as well but at high elevation and we get snow here.
    When done I will stucco it along with house. And finish interior. I figured it would cost me around 60k but it will go over due to stucco and brick roof tiles.
    I will do framing and interiors myself.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Are you continuing that same roof line as the house? That would give you an extra tall garage or possible a 2 story garage. That would be very nice.