1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Practicing race start on different bike?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Lazy Destroyer, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I know that experience and practice makes for the best race start. I know I am just starting out racing and the launch isn't top priority at the moment, but I'd like to practice just to get used to launching, my goal isn't to "nail the launch" but just get more comfortable with it. I have a lot of street experience, tons of miles for my age but doing a hard launch is pretty new to me. I actually got worse on Sunday compared to Saturday at Tally.

I'd like to occasionally make it out to the drag strip to practice, but with my SV650 being a race bike, I'd have to haul it up there in the trailer. Not a deal breaker but a bit of work/$ to get a handful of launches in a track environment. And traffic to Atl Dragway on a T&T night always sucks.
    I have my street '05 GSXR750 and I'm wondering if it will be useful to practice with this, and if the experience will transfer enough to my race bike. Riding up already geared to the track would be a lot more simple. And could also make it easier if I wanted to just practice in my work parking lot as an alternative.

I have a street SV650 but I'm probably going to be selling it in Spring. I've considered keeping it but I really need to clear out the garage.

So... does a decent launch technique typically transfer ok to different bikes? Or will the 750 just be too different from the SV to be worth it?

flygirl likes this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

You should be fine. Do it.

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Practice in front of your house, get someone to flag you

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

at every traffic light

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your head is in the right place. Any practice will help, but obviously there will be differences between your 750 and your 650. You're not going in expecting it to be a direct transition. Nothing to lose.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Any time at the strip will help.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the technique is applicable to ALL bikes. You could practice on a dirtbike as well.

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

TurboBlew likes this.