1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerhouse generator?

Discussion in 'General' started by vdub 2.0, Sep 14, 2016.

1. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

I know Honda and Yamaha set the standard but I went into my local commercial landscape dealer and picked up a nice new redmax weed walker. While I was in there I noticed they carried powerhouse generators I have never heard of them before so looked them up when I got home and can't find to many solid reviews. I see they make a 2700 watt for 1100 and cabelas currently has it on sale for $850. It has electrics start and and parallel ready. I'd only be running warmers 10 times a year. Anyone have experience with it or should is the Honda worth the extra money for less power.

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If all you are doing is running 1 or even 2 sets of warmers and a fan, the 2700W generator would be fine. It will make a bit more noise than a YamaHonda, but not loud for a racetrack setting. If you are planning on running it all night for an A/C unit, that may be another story. The question is, will it reliably start every time like the Honda and Yamaha? From the reviews, there clearly are some problem units out there and it sounds like places to get it serviced are harder to find than your nearest Honda or Yamaha dealer. The second factor is resale. Honda and Yamaha generators don't significantly depreciate over time. I bought my EF3000iSEB 7 years ago as a scratch and dent floor model. I could sell it today for about what I paid for it.

3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I had a Powerhouse 3500W several years ago, I bought it new. The only time I used it was for power at the track...warmers and a 20" fan. It lasted about three years until the generator part of it quit working. The motor still ran, but no output from the generator. That was the final straw. I now own a Yamaha 6300. Powerhouse is made in China. They look nice, but my experience with them says that they are not worth it....junk!

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ontent=42411&gclid=CKWxr534js8CFQgfhgodQ0QGYg

this one? We've had a couple running almost daily. Typical use is run hard & put up wet. Only issues we had was some brainiac couldnt get a brand new one to fire because it didnt have oil in it.

I have no idea why you would gamble on a "used" generator when you can get a new one with about the same warranty.
    Its not hard to find the Hondas or Yamahas for less than $900 shipped to your door. Unless you cant operate a modern browser or a credit/debit card. Even if you walked into a local retailer for Honda or Yamaha... its not like the street price is ungodly expensive.

5. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

6. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Find a used Honda EU2000i for that price. It'll run 1 set of warmers fine. Can run two sets (done it before) but it'll run flat out and still be quieter than that one you're looking at.