1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help?!?!?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by repsol_69, Feb 29, 2004.

1. repsol_69

repsol_69 New Member

first of all sorry about the lack of introduction, but...

I'm in a bad spot! I was changing the shift forks in an R6 this past weekend. to make a long story short all the valve shims and buckets fell out. Now I have no idea what shim goes where. If anyone has any information that would be useful, please please help me?

Thank you in advance.

2. fun

Well, your in luck...you get to do a valve adjustment now! Yah you'll have to check each clearance and see if you can figure out which shim went where. As for buckets it shouldn't matter really, as long as they are all the same diameter...which that's easy to figure out which ones would go where. Sometimes the diameters are different between exhaust and intake.

3. repsol_69

repsol_69 New Member

Has anyone ever done this on an R6 before? Would all R6's be different? I would think there has to be a listing or a sequence somewhere. I tried getting the valve clearance from the feeler gages and it isn’t working out to well. On one valve I got a clearance of .889MM, but now how would I figure out which one goes in that spot. (I don’t have a Mic to measure these with.)

Can the dealer pull a list of what shim goes on what valve? I was hoping to have this done tonight but this is really kicking my arse.

By the way, Thanks for the quick response to my question. I really do appreciate it.

4. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

i don't think a dealer can help you with a chart. if I am not mistaken you will need to put all shims back in no particular order, and then measure the gaps. Then you will need to put together your own chart to see which shim need to go where. It is likely that you will need extra shims. Most mechanics will have shim kits that allow them to mix and match.

I am not a mechanic myself, and there may be a better way.

Alex

5. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

If it were me, I would go to a local shop where I know most of the staff. They would let me view their microfiche of that specific model and year.

Or just take the bike and parts there.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2004
  6. repsol_69

repsol_69 New Member

Yea I had that thought as well. However the local shop here are not as compatant as one would like.

Excuse all spelling errors please.

7. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

There isn't any specific order or position that the shims go in. They are there to adjust the clearance between the valve stem and cam lobe. Since the valves are all slightly different, you will need to re-install the buckets, shims and cams and measure the clearance. You might get lucky on the first try, but more than likely you will have to do this a couple of times.

If the clearance was good to begin with, you shouldn't need to buy any new shims. Trial and error is a pain, but without the means to measure the shims it is the most straightforward way I can think of.

The shims should be marked with sizes, this might help you figure out which goes where after the first assembly/measurement.

Good luck.

tom

8. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

You are in a pinch now you just need to start with the shims in a pile. Most times all the shims for the intakes will be close to the same number same for the exh.. So start with sorting out the shims by numbers and you should have two differant groups. One group for exh. and one group for intake. The buckets just pick a valve and place them with a valve. Put the same group of shims on the vavles with numbers up and write down the numbers for the valve on a piece of paper. Do the same for the next group and record the shim numbers. Next install the cams and carefully tighten up the caps to spec. measure the valve lash. If you have all valves tight on say the intake then you need to swap the shims around but the exh. should be loose and record the the measurement go to your manaul and it should tell what shim you need to get the valves in spec. Pull cams and swap the shims and do it all again. If you need a ear to pull give me a shout 404-863-0522