1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plantar Plate Tear

Discussion in 'General' started by gpz11, Oct 11, 2019.

1. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

So I've been told I have a planter plate tear at my 2nd toe joint based on the MRI last week.

Anybody on here have to deal with it?

I see the doc at the end of the month but the nurse mentioned wearing some type of shoe to tie the 2nd toe to the big toe to keep it from moving or just to straight to surgery.

He originally put some padding in my shoe but that's not cutting it anymore.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Not to be terribly nosy, but how did you do that?

3. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Bizarre was just talking to a client yesterday about running and she stated she had this happen. She had surgery 2 years ago and is back to running and has no issues.
    Sounds like it’s fixable.

gpz11 likes this.
  4. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

No idea how it happened, I'm no runner, more like couch potato.

I wonder if it's from driving my XR4Ti with a manual trans?? It is my left foot.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    RRP likes this.
  5. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I tried taping one of my toes to another one time and it was not very tight at all, but when I went to walk it hurt like hell.. I don't think my toes all go the same direction when I walk.. I think my toes work like crooked door hinges..lol

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Here are some planter plates.
    1B804004-983A-4888-BCBE-26AE3077E7F9.jpeg

auminer, Phl218 and Banditracer like this.
  7. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

Curl a towel with your toes. And then uncurl with your toes when you are being a potato.

I say it with experience. Ex collegiate runner in long distance and short distance. It’s not a cure but it will strength what us runners call flat footedness. You fun flat instead of heal to toe Motion which uses your body as a shock absorber.

It’s your best bet to get back on the bike as soon as possible with surgery. Also learn to tape your arch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

So do this before or after the tear is healed?

9. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

Just get in the habit of doing it all the time. It really is a good thing no matter what.

I wouldn’t recommend you doing it all day but at any time in just resting or don’t have shoes on, I’ll curl and uncurl my toes. The towel helps you show progression and strength. At first it will be exhausting. But in the end, a silly technique will help you feel so much better.

And insole with arch to provide support can also help

gpz11 likes this.
  10. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Well, just got home from the surgery.

Trying to use crutches in the bathroom is a PITA.

11. Miguelito

Miguelito Active Member

That’s a bummer but you are on the road to recovery now. Just take it as easy as you can. Hope it heals quick.

gpz11 likes this.