1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pivot points and force question

Discussion in 'General' started by Spitz, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

This may be a dumb question but math never excited me as I never saw an applied use at the time. Anyway, have a jd tractor. They have two loaders options which use different pin locations for boom lift pins. I wanted more digging depth while my bucket was pitched level. To do that I can move the pin to the other location, my question is what can I expect to change and by approximately how much? Pin location is higher by 1 inch and back 2 inches roughly than what original was. Or what really matters is it's closer to the pivot pin back two inches and up one.

https://m.completeoutdoorequipment....Haute-IN-a405d7c1-68c0-413b-965b-ab8000ad2805

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

What?

3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I have no idea , but did you consider calling a John Deere dealer and asking them ? I would think they would have your answer

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

BTW, buckets are not for digging. They are for scooping up loose piles of whatever you want moved to another location. You may get away with pushing loose material around, too, if you don't try to get the whole pile at once.
    If you want to dig, get a backhoe.
    If you want to push solid ground around, get a dozer.
    If you use a loader for either of the above two operations, invest in fittings, hoses and hydraulic fluid with a cash reserve large enough to replace/rebuild rams. When you make all that shit bullet-proof, get a pump and distribution block rebuild kit. Next thing to fail down the line is the PTO output. After that, you'll claim JD is garbage, buy a Kubota and start all over.

There's only so many manufacturers...use their products for their intended purpose and you'll only have to care for one of 'em. ;)

ducnut, MGM and Motofun352 like this.
  5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The other alternative is to also get a riper for the back. I use a box blade with the rippers fully extended to loosen the soil first. Once I have it worked up then I turn around and bucket it off. Takes longer this way but it works. Wish I could afford ALL the toys but in the meantime this will work.

6. Ya since we are speaking about moment arms here we might as well add the force calculation so we shall start with calculating the surface area of the bucket. Remember digging with a bucket on the farm when I was a kid and blowing a hydraulic hose, gramps gave me a good lesson in free body diagrams. Then lesson 2 was hydraulics :)

7. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Not sure if you mean the tractor you have or are looking at has 2 different loaders available or if there is a single loader that has 2 pin locations. I am going to assume the first since that is not uncommon. The spec you are looking for is published in my Kubota loader manual, without looking it seems like it is called "max digging depth". I would guess a dealer would be able to get you the information.

Everyone else is correct, tractor loaders are really not meant for digging, with care you can do some but it isn't the right tool for the job. I do the same as Motofun, use the rippers/scarfiers on the box blade to loosen and rip the ground then scoop with the bucket. Goes pretty quick once you get the hang of it.

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

No idea on the exact percentages. It’s in the manual, though.

When you move the pin up and back, you gain depth. However, you lose leverage on the bucket because the cylinders are further behind and upward (sorta’ like getting out from under something and still trying to hold it up), which means you lose weight capability at the bucket.

GRH likes this.
  9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

This was my first thought as well. The link I posted shows the main mast of the loader with the two positions. Deere doesn't have info because it's not meant for this purpose, it's for a different variant with a leveling bucket. I'm not trying to be a bulldozer, but I can't even shave the ground or heel the bucket for grading action because of the lack of below grade depth. I know what I can and can't do with the tractor and this is a serious limitation on functionality in my opinion. I need precision if I can't use it for raw power like a skid steer.

ducnut likes this.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Ahh! I’m with you, now; two different bucket setups, as opposed to two different cylinder positions with the same bucket. I guess, try it and see how it goes.

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea, I figured if I lose 5% lift capacity that's fine, I shouldn't be at max all the time anyway. I do have box blades and the normal attachments for ground work etc. Trying to do anything below grade though is worse because the bucket is pitched in a digging attitude trying to get down there.

ducnut likes this.