1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbull Trailer Restraint Install Question

Discussion in 'General' started by gaines1016, Jan 24, 2015.

1. gaines1016

gaines1016 Well-Known Member

I was hoping somebody could offer up their experience with installing the pitbull trs mounting brackets on an open aluminum trailer with an extruded aluminum floor.

This is the trailer I plan to install the system on: http://www.alumaklm.com/item/11-6810-utility-trailer.html

It has an extruded metal decking that has the profile that could be described almost like a metal stud. I am sure I will need to reinforce where the mounting bracket bolts to the floor and was curious if anybody has found a nice and clean way of doing this.

any experience/tips or install pics would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I would think that decking is plenty strong enough to hold the TRS. I mounted mine through the normal 3/4 inch wood decking on a standard trailer and has been fine for 5 years.
    You might need longer bolts if your trailer decking is thicker.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

What you could try is buying 2 of the base plates and do one on top of the deck and one underneath to spread out the load over a wider surface rather than just using the washers that come with the kit. Might actually be overkill, but if you are that concerned about it.

[​IMG]

4. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Or just make a ¾ plywood plate for the bottom with some large fender washers

5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

being exposed under the trailer. The plywood will deteriorate. Solid wood or a sheet of HDPE or the like from McMaster would be better

6. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

That trailer deck is fine. If anything, get some 3/16 or 1/4"" x 1 1/2" aluminum angle and bolt it to the underside of the deck.

7. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I would consider reinforcing with a plate of Aluminum on bottom.

8. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Good point

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, anything to spread out the load a little bit. A piece of pressure treated lumber, some of that plastic decking material, or something similar.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No need to worry about it - but the aluminum angle would be an easy fix if you're still worried.

11. gaines1016

gaines1016 Well-Known Member

thanks everyone. appreciate the ideas. I can work with one of those.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

That's the route I went. Overkill, but it makes me feel better.

13. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

If you haven't ordered the TRS yet; I know George will send the extra piece from the mounting plate (that is stamped out during fabrication) if you ask.
    He has offered that to people on here in the past.