1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbike/Scooters Again

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I know similar questions have been asked here earlier, but a search showed stuff that was either vague or out of date, so I'll brave a new thread.

I've been wanting to get a multi-use pitbike-type device for a while, and have started looking. First my criteria:

* Small, but not too small to carry two adults in a pinch.
    * Relatively lightweight (somewhere between lead and titanium).
    * Primarily electric start (kick back up is fine).
    * Tagged/street legal (the most flexible for occasional non-pitbike duty).

I am leaning toward one of the >50cc step-through scooters. Looking at my local bike dealers, I find the Honda Elite 80 and the Yamaha Vino to be my primary choices (The Honda Ruckusess... Er... Rucki? being either too small or too big). Also, I understand the Zuma is coming back, but might be a bit too small/underpowered.

In the "more exotic/expensive" category, there's Aprilia and Piaggio/Vespa, both of which are a little tougher to get support for.

So, there is the bulk of Chinese stuff. I know many have said they are so poor quality as to be not worth the trouble, and I've certainly seen some examples of that. But, it seems like a few brands are trying to step up a bit. Kymco has a good warranty and support. Also TNG seem to be a tiny cut above as well. I haven't had a look at either in person yet, but there is a dealer nearby, so I might have a gander this weekend.

Is there any better chinese stuff now, or is it still avoid? Any other suggestions/experience from the WERA board crowd out there? I have virtually no experience with this sort of stuff (rode a few scooters, had a minibike when I was a kid, etc.), so a little feedback would be helpful.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Kymco is not from China; they are from Taiwan. Big difference.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Tiawanese scooter = better quality then?

I understand that some specific Kymco models are made in China as well, so it's a real minefield to know what's what.

At least I can go to a dealer and look at them in person. And get parts/service for one there if it breaks.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The best all around ever made is the Zuma. It can haul me through the mountains of North Georgia, it'll be fine for whatever you need.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

The Kymco's seem to be good stuff.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

RE: Zuma

Yeah, haven't seen a good used one close enough to me to go that way, and don't know when the new ones will be available.

I'd imagine with the catalyst, they will be heavier, slower (neither a huge disaster) and more expensive (ok, maybe a disaster)...

RE: Kymco

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

The Kymco Super9 is the best 50cc 2-stroke IMHO. Great power and speed with only free mods. Zuma's are great scooters but need some help to carry real world speed. I've got an Aprilia SR50 (now 70) and it runs like stink. Deals are rare on the Aprilia's but I stumbled onto one so they do happen.

8. Smokin158

Smokin158 Suzuki T500 Racer

Might try one of these. The gas mileage is great but the stopping power is brutal.

[​IMG]

9. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Frack knows all about that, right?

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Hmmmm... And I could get cheap race take-off tires too...

How quick does it go through brake pads?

11. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

I'll put a plug in for the 80cc Honda Elite -- run-forever four-stroke mill, hauls two comfortably yet not much bigger than the small 50cc two-strokes like the Vino and the Metro. Plus, they come with hideous 80's styling at no extra charge! On the good side, they've been in production since the 80s, so there's lots of used ones available at good prices. Besides, what other scooter advertisements featured Lou Reed, Adam Ant, and Grace Jones? :cool:

I'm tall with long legs, so I have hard time fitting on the 50cc scoots -- the bars hit my knees, making turn-in a bit dicey. I have the same problem with the Zuma, and end up sitting on the passenger seat in order to able to ride it. The Elite was the only scooter under 100cc that I fit on.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Hey, are those Durrani wheels?????????

13. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

No, that's only factory Kawasakis...