1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pit bulls in Denver

Discussion in 'General' started by Hooligan, May 13, 2005.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Just a wanabe

2. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

First and foremost let me say for the record, I love animals and my dogs. I can't imagine a home without them. I grew up with them, my dad trained guard dogs when I was little (German Shepards), and I have shared many of the 'notorious' breeds out there.....

Ultimately, I blame the people bringing this on themselves, not the dogs. Yes, some dogs are inheritantly mean.... sometimes it's a learned behavior and somtimes they're just bred that way. I'm not saying, for example, all pit bulls are mean, just some genetic lines are. Just like breeding horses, cows, or any other type of animal, there are certain physical and mental traits that are passed down.

We had a beautiful blue male chow named Brutus. We got him at about 6 months old (paid a hefty price for him too) and took him home. Renee was born a few years later and those two were best of buds. Then something started to change, at about four, his personality changed and he started to become irritable. Paul and I recognized this right away and tried working with him, looking for the happy guy he once was. We looked for physical ailments too, but couldn't find anything. I started to contact people who had dogs from this same line and discovered that they were having similar problems.... The final straw was when Paul went to grab him by the collar to put him in the kennel and Brutus just hauled off and bit him. With all the other signs, we had him put down. It was about a year later, that I found out that in his genetic line, there was a history of brain tumors. The person that shared this with me had an autopsy done on more than of her chows after she put hers down.... Although she waited too long to address the situation and her father ended up with over 280 stiches in his face.

All dogs, no matter what the breed have the ability to bite. It's just recoginzing the signs before they do. I think Pit Bull's have the bad reputation because of the fighting :Puke: and the stupid yahoos that say "Yeah... Go ahead and break into my house.... I have a Pit Bull and he will...." There are too many people out there that get a certain breed of dog just as a fashion statement.

We are on this earth to be caretakers of the land and all the creatures of this earth. Its sad that so few screwed so much up. :(

Dawn

P.S. IMHO.... Anyone who enjoys cock fighting, dog fighting, or any other type of 'event' that puts one animal against another to the death should be beat! They're just one sick bastard.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  3. mango

mango Ewah Felicitys underpants

They could kiss mine and my dogs ass.

Sugar the Pit bull/Chow mix says
    [​IMG]
    SCREW YOU HIPPY!

ummmmmmmm leezard

4. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

Here's our buddy, Marty....

[​IMG]

He's a farm bred rat terrier. I think were done with the large breed dogs for now (Marty fits in the motor home much easier than our huskies ever did). ;)

5. apex134

apex134 Well-Known Member

If the authorities came to my house and tried to take my child and kill her simply because she was caucasion, they would end up with an aerated skulls.

If they tried to do the same thing to my Pitbull, they would find themselves in the same situation. She's my baby and she is a sweet, loving pooch.

[​IMG]

Here she's keeping an eye on the R1 forks in background :)

6. melanie

melanie not a dude

I have a friend with the most adorable pit bull I have ever seen. He picked it up from an animal shelter, and the only thing wrong with the dog was that he had been abused by a previous (black)owner - which did not serve to create a viscious dog. He is friendly and loving to everyone, except black people, which he is afraid of. Not mean to - AFRAID of. He won't get near them. So I say, how can this be a viscious breed when the dog has gorrible things happen to it and it doesn't lash out? He hides.

I am not really a dog person, but I have said many times that if I do choose to adopt a dog, it will be a pit bull. I have never met a more funny, reliable, protective, and non-violent breed.

:moon: to all who disagree. :D

7. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

:up:

8. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

We have a 1.5 year old pit/chow mix that we rescued from the pound on her LAST day. She is the sweetest dog I have ever been around, period. And while she can be annoying because she wants to be by you and touching you and licking you all of the time she loves everyone and we go out of our way to introduce her to as many people as possible. Amazingly, as outgoing and as friendly as she is all of the time, we've had other dog owners back away from her slowly at the pet store saying "eww, what a pretty pit bull" (she's black/brown brindle). I back away from dogs that are snarling and agressive, not ones that can hardly stand up straight because their tail is wagging so hard. Sad day in Denver.

9. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

butcher them all and serve them to the homeless

2 birds with one stone

10. melanie

melanie not a dude

Doesn't solve the homeless not having homes, now does it? Put your ignorance back in the box. :Puke:

11. Booger Van der Jackass

DOUCHE BAG.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

ROTFLMAO.

So he was obviously trolling - does the make you two obviously big mouth fishies? :D

13. Booger Van der Jackass

More like a hard ass manatee! GRRRRRRRRR!!!

14. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

:D

You could have let me play a little. :moon:

I almost miss Brad right now...almost