1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli to Dunlop and bike setup changes

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Aug 14, 2018.

1. It’s because Pirellis have more drive grip.

10 more pages. :crackup:

2. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Maybe since he didn't know me that's why he told me to use those pressures. Just like the pirelli website has rear pressures from 25-28 rear (I've been told 27 by trackside vendor). NO WAY

CMRA 270 likes this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Look at you in here trying to stir shit up. :crackup:

Michelin :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You’re probably right!

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

IMO, the ones they publish and tell all their vendors are trackday pressures. it takes a good amount of pace with actual hard braking to heat the front tire above 33psi. a 600 at low A pace is borderline. 23psi rear is a "safe" pressure to limit tearing and provide good longevity for those same riders.

TX Joose and Gorilla George like this.
  6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

15 to 18 rear hot!!!!!?

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Let me explain race tires development. (And basically ANY tire)
    A engineer or 3 sit down on a CAD CAM computer and decide what they want to do.
    THEY FIRST consult tire engineering design standards and come up with a size.
    So let's say it's a 180/60R17 like Pirelli introduced 5 or so years ago.
    They look at previous data from a similar size to get the benchmark performance of the new tire.
    They all agree on the size and basic inner outer construction materials, width, diameter, and compounds to try.
    They order a mold from the mold maker and wait 6 to 12 weeks for it to arrive.
    They have the tire builder start building what's called a "green tire" and they check everything in it 5 or more times.
    Then they heat up the mold and the tire builder moves forward and produce the 50 or so prototypes.
    The engineers check these prototypes and if everything is WITHIN the planned design (and meets tire industry criteria) they move forward and drum test the tires internally.
    Drum testing is done at the correct range of pressures and from 20 mph up to 250 mph, and stress tested in many standardized ways.
    Once they pass these internal tests, they order 100 to 200 prototypes for outdoor testing
    The test rider and engineers do this standardized testing to make sure they perform as designed
    Then the test riders ride their asses off and benchmark the compounds, sizes, at the engineering pressures to make sure they perform as designed for a race tire.
    Then the development continues at tests with the WSBK SS guys. If they are happy the testing moves on to WSBK race weekends at a bunch of tracks and this could take 6 to 16 months. All of this testing is done with the tire engineering design standard pressures.
    Finally with ALL OF THIS FEEDBACK the suggested pressure range are published and this is what you find on the Pirelli website.

I can explain further but I think I have made my point.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  8. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

You seem to know your Pirellis well...

I'll be racing in NJMP in 2 weeks time and have been riding on Dunlops up here in Canada (spec tire)
    Running a ZX6R 636 in Ohlins intern front of .975 and rear Ohlins shock .95
    Front Dunlop soft at 37lbs (off warmers)
    Rear Dunlop Supersoft at 21lbs (off warmers)

Do I need to stiffen my springs for the Pirellis ?
    If so, what do you recommande.

If anyone else can shime in, plz do !

Thnx
    Alex

9. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

[I've found] You really need to ride them hard to get them sticking, and they like to be H.O.T. !
    That's what I was running on the SV. I tried 23 first as it was recommended and hot tore in a couple laps. Dropped the pressure and it smoothed way out.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Why doesn't anyone LISTEN TO ME?! :D
    I dropped a link in the thread titled "No one knows anything about tires"...lotsa looks, very few replies, of which, none were on topic. :rolleyes:
    Apparently, we're not interested in how they're made, we just wanna know how to use 'em.
    Pretty fuckin' sad, if you ask me. I would think everyone would want to know as much about the products they gamble their life's on as possible. Maybe I titled it wrong...shoulda gone with DON'T FUCKIN' DIE CUZ YOU CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO RESEARCH THE PRODUCTS THAT KEEP YOU CONNECTED TO THE TARMAC!
    It still wouldn't be read. :crackup:

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Do we really need to answer that? :D

12. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I ran my rear at 26 hot at big willow and it wore perfect and had great grip. I started at 22 and it was hot tearing badly.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Well I did work there for 20 years and most of that time I was in the race dept. so...
    As my tag line states I'm retired so I'm going to remind you that you're going to NJMP and that Mike from Metric Devil Moto is a suspension guy and Pirelli tire vendor for NJMP so he's your guy for these questions.

MDM to the white courtesy phone, Mike line 1 please.

see ya and have fun

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

It seems some think this shit comes from
    Thanks again.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Uh no, everyone on the Beeb are either tire engineers or tire techs:Poke:

track wagon likes this.
  16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

At Summit for the weekend, where reliable data service is at a premium, but feel free to reach out at [email protected] and I'll see it Monday.