1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirates Gone Wild

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by RockRocks, Nov 18, 2008.

1. healthhut

healthhut Expert #18

Is our cruise all inclusive or do I need to come packing.:D

2. 999

999 Well-Known Member

Hmmm.

So you gots 2 Milllion barrels times $60/barrel plus shipping... that's gonna knock Exxon/Mobil's profit down to eleventy billion for the quarter.

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:crackup:

4. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Somalian pirates have been busy this year. Here's the deck of a US ship after "fun and games" keeping pirates away from shipping. The ship was part of a multi-national 3-ship task force vetted with anti-piracy and anti-drug missions. Taken February, 2008.

Attached Files:

5. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

what are those - spent shells? the scale is confusing me.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Looks like .22 shells on a model doesn't it? But yeah - spent shells from a big ole gun :D

7. dasnd12

dasnd12 Well-Known Member

8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Last time I ate some real Indian food, it did also leave an impression on its departure...

Ouch...

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Those look like some type of rimmed center fire cartridges.

10. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

The Saudis have pretty good US toys. Do they have the fancy radar planes? That way they could direct any govt with a boat, day or night.

11. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

USN
    5"/54 caliber Mark 45 gun mod IV. Fully automatic, capable of firing 20 rounds in a bit more than 1 minute and designed to be used against surface warships, AA use and shore bombardment. Found on cruisers and destroyers.

12. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Yep, the Boeing E-3A "Sentry". More for air defense. That and a bunch of F-15 -C, -D and -S models.

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I had remembered that there were some shells on the USS Massachusetts that looked similar. Were the old 5" gun shells on there similar to what is pictured?

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Libya has glass bottom ships... so they can inventory their air force. :D

15. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Stick to submarines, John. :D :D :D

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Hey, I go to those target museums to see how those on top live. :p

A little nostalgic thread jack for everyone...

If any of you have never been to one of the battleship museums then go when you get the chance. Damn, those freaking ships are awesome. One of the best Navy museums I've seen in the US is Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA. The USS Mass is there, an old Destroyer, a Russian Corvette boat, diesel sub, PT boat museum and some other misc stuff.

Battleships are freaking awesome. I want to see the Missouri and/or the New Jersey. Anyone know where those are at now?

The USS Midway is a close second for museums. It's in San Diego and in awesome shape with a freaking massive inventory of restored planes.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  17. cujo

cujo Well-Known Member

+1

18. cujo

cujo Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure the New Jersey Is docket in Camden New Jersey , I seen it from the philly side of the river It is massive

19. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Prolly. The USS Massachusetts (BB-54) had the 5"/38 gun with a 26" shell casing It had a range of about 9 nm. Today's 5"/54 MK 45 (Mod 4) has a barrel length of 22.5 ft and a range of 13 nm. Most US Aegis-capable ships can fire an Extended Range Guided Munition (ERGM) out to 63 nm.

In naval guns having a bore of 25 mm (1") or greater, caliber is an expression of the relationship between bore and barrel length, not just the diameter of the round, as in a hand gun (38 cal., .45 cal.) etc. The 5-inch guns on the USS Massachusetts had a barrel length of 15.8 ft and a range of 9nm (average). Compare: Iowa-class battleships' 16" guns (16"/50) had barrel lengths of 66.6 ft, while the Massachusettes had 16"/45 guns, barrel length 60 ft.

More than you need to know about the 5-inch naval gun and some "action" shots: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/mk-45.htm

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Cool.