1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phones for kids

Discussion in 'General' started by PMooney Jr., Jun 10, 2012.

1. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

We're wanting to get our two boys phones. They're 8 and 9 years old. Any of you guys have phones for your young kids? Furthest they go by themselves is about 10 houses down to a friends house but they're always on their bikes or in the woods between our houses climbing trees and being boys. We want something durable obviously but want it to only be able to call out to 911 and our numbers along with they're friends parents etc. Can the service be setup that way? These are for emergencies only obviously, not toys. Any advice is great, thanks.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Go get two cheap prepaid phones and hand them out. Lay down the rules and let them have at it. If they use up all their time calling the friends, have them pay for their minutes doing shit around the house.

They use up the minutes calling their friends or grand ma, they work to get more.

3. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Go to Walmart and get the Verizon prepaid phone. It's like 30 a month and no contract

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Do they still make that phone called the Cricket? My ex got them for her daughters like 5 years ago. You could only program 3 numbers into them. Mom, Dad, Home. that way theyre not calling everywhere

5. Firefly.

Also check with your current cell phone provider they probably already have a program in place and have phones for such use.

6. Quicktoy

firefly, that was it, thanks

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Playskool makes some nice product for children. They are children...they don't need a cell phone.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  8. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

:stupid:

9. PMooney Jr.

Why don't you fuck off to some other thread and spew your poison. It's not needed here.

10. PMooney Jr.

Thank you to the rest of you. I'll check my provider first and see what they have then go check the other suggestions.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ok now!

If having the ability to dial 911 is the PRIMARY goal, just know any older deactivated cellphone can do that for free. Food for thought.

12. Quicktoy

If a kid is spending any time away from a parent, there is ZERO reason that kid shouldnt have a phone. Just because when we were kids they weren't around, doesn't mean that the next generations shouldn't have them. Its a matter of safety for your child pure and simple!!! If you make fun of that, you're pretty stupid to be honest

13. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Wow you ask for opinions then fly off when you get a few that you don't agree with. I agree with Cannoli and Venom.

14. Quicktoy

No, he asked for opinions on phones. They (and you) gave opinions on whether his kids should or should not have a phone.

15. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

i agree, kids shouldn't have phones. if you decide to do it, make sure NOTHING works but the few numbers.

i know someone that gave their 12-13yo daughter a phone... 3 months ago they got a bill for like $2000.... she was sending texts to those relief funds. you know, send a text to 5555 to donate $5.. she had no clue the $5 was going on her bill.... she thought they would donate it for every text they got in support of it..... clueless kids.

16. Quicktoy

... Hence why the Firefly phone was recommended. No texting and can only call and receive calls from 3 programmed numbers

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

LOL......is she blonde? j/k

18. Quicktoy

Oh, and I remember when they were doing the Haiti thing a year or two back, that some 20ish female posted on her FB that she had texted it over a thousand times and that all her friends on FB should do the same. She thought the government donated $5 every time she texted. We kindly let her know that she would be paying that bill. The girl absolutely FREAKED...HAHA

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Her parents must have gone to a prominent university...

20. Quicktoy

Man, I forgot all about that, cause I was the first one to call her out on it. I remember sitting back and thinking what a fricken MORON