1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal phone use while on the clock.

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Feb 10, 2022.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

So, I've fired a kid who couldn't stay off the phone during work. After being warned 100 times he started taking lengthy bathroom breaks all day long. My other help would go in there afterwards and the lid would be down (kid never closed a lid in his life) LOL.

I have a new guy who's been great for a month or so, but now is sliding into the same BS. Every time I walk out to the shop, phones in hand and then he slips it in his pocket. I lit him up about it so we'll see what happens.

To me, it's the same as stealing out of the back room.

Am I a shitty boss? Nuts?

2. kangasj

kangasj Banned

No....work time is not phone play time.

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Do they get their work done?

5axis, 23103a, 969 and 5 others like this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No...when you are at work you are at work. It better be a fucking emergency if the wife rings my phone during the day.

Pixelator and cav115 like this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So you called the cops on him? :D

Attached Files:

kangasj likes this.
  6. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

How many people will answer this question from work?

rafa, 418, 5axis and 27 others like this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Is there another way to measure their performance? I.e., widgets produced, etc.?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

What's this 'personal phone' and 'on the clock' shit you speak of??? :crackup:

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

W2 people problems ;)

BHP41, BigBird, Britt and 1 other person like this.
  10. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I don`t allow phones in the shop.

First, not paying people to text and play, next they are not focused on the work.

Sabre699, tl1098, 27 and 1 other person like this.
  11. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

We have a zero phone policy at my work, and all employees sign a document stating they have read and are aware of the policy. (Aviation) If you are expecting a phone call or need to take a call/make a call you let your supervisor know and its never an issue to let someone take a call or make a call. Sometimes you need to handle some business or kids issues. But let the lead/boss know first. After that the phone goes back in the toolbox drawer until break /lunch whatever. Phones are a distraction and possible FOD issue for Aviation. Cant work distracted, Drop a phone in a fuel tank or loose it and now theres a problem. I would think the same would apply for any type hands on job.

12. Chasingstatuszx10r

Chasingstatuszx10r Well-Known Member

I'm actually in the same industry and we adhere to these very same standards, but the union is strong. So a lot of the time management just gets steam rolled over if they tell anybody to put their phones away it's kind of absurd. This is the reason why your diaphragms and aircraft shafts take so damn long for turnaround/new production parts. None of these are young kids either. It has nothing to do with covid or material delay.... It has all to do with Lisa not minding her goddamn business about which support tech is not allowed/allowed to apply sermetel to the parts and slow the God damn process down. Hell, ppl openly browse Facebook and YouTube on work computers.

cav115 likes this.
  13. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I spent many years working jobs where I had to sneak a peek because it was against the rules, but I was still gonna check my phone when there was downtime. Now I work a job where I'm currently typing this from my desk and my work pays for a dual sim phone that is both work and personal lines, so I'm on it quite a bit, but I'm still far ahead of any deadlines and frequently do work above what I'm asked.

My thoughts are there's a big difference between checking your phone, and abusing work time, I probably lean towards the latter if I'm honest, but if otherwise there are no complaints about the work and there are no safety issues a check here or there is the same as a water break or a smoke break. If someone is sitting on their phone constantly and not working I think that's more of a work ethic problem and taking the phone away is just going to make them find other things to waste time on.

KneeDragger_c69 and Rebel635 like this.
  14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Cannot take my phone into work. It’s one of the pluses of my job.

cav115 and The Todd like this.
  15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I gave an employee a company phone after years of working for me... told him he could use it for whatever off hours I didn’t care.... I walked out the door to tell him something and he was on the phone... he had the audacity to hold up his finger as to tell me “just a minute” he was leading a construction crew... I took the phone hung it up and fired his ass in front of the entire crew... phones were never an issue again...

HPPT, cav115 and kangasj like this.
  16. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

With few exceptions, I think blanket no-phone policies are BS. I'm not going to miss an emergency call because of a policy. Everyone in my circle knows not to call or text when I'm at work unless it's urgent. Responsible employees should know better, so just fire those who can't behave like adults.

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The work is never done. There is always something to do.

I went off today because it's continually gotten worse. Today I went out to do a take off to order parts and he's texting
    Looks up and says I need this part...as we walk from the shop to the office his phone goes off 5 times.

I give them a project and leave them alone. I don't stand over them all day because I have my own stuff to do. Were a little biz without a bunch of policy's. I try to take care of them best I can.

18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Firing after repeated warnings and maybe a disciplinary action or two is more than fair. IMO, people deserve to be allowed to fix their mistakes. And if they unable to address the mistakes, they aren't fit for the job.

But it sounds like you struggle to be professional and may be a shitty boss because of it.

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

There's a time and place for everything, I've worked construction and knocked out quality jobs faster than anyone else by far and used my phone when needed to and never impacted the job in a negative way and I always made sure of it. We would also start work at 7am and work until whenever we finished the project which most times was after 5,5 days a week with only a 10 minute lunch so if I needed to take care of things like buying a car or scheduling like prescriptions I needed to use my phone while working.

20. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I am a construction project manager for a medium sized residential/commercial construction company. I just use my personal phone for both work and home.
    I take evening and weekend phone calls and text from vendors and customers more than people think.
    If my wife wants to call me for a few minutes to go over what's for dinner during my day "work hours"... I am taking the call... but I make sure I have my chit in order every day too!

badmoon692008, Rebel635 and noles19 like this.