1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Penske Triple Clicker Shock- 06 Gsx-R 1000

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxersmitty, Feb 14, 2013.

1. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Penske triple for my 1000 and was wondering if anyone cared to share some baseline settings, particularly for the high and low speed comp? I'm not looking for anyone's magic numbers, I'd just like to have a working starting point so I can get it on the track and not be way out in left field. I would use the other rider's settings but he turned both comp adjusters all the way in instead of buying a new spring. I checked Penske's site and the spring is right for my weight, and I can set the sag. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

on my K5 1000 I have my triple setup as such, hope it helps, I'm about 185 w/o gear

500 lb spring
    Preload - 5 threads showing above collar
    HSC - 15 clicks out
    LSC - 10 clicks out
    Reb - 20 clicks out
    Ride Height - 331mm eye to eye (I think that's +6mm over stock)

3. gixxersmitty

Hey I greatly appreciate it. It'll definately get me started. Those are going from full hard out to that above number?

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

My notes from Matt Lynn for 06 had the most common values at 25 HS and 12 LS. We had custom valving in them though. Mike F. can probably chime in on whether that's a good starting point.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Those settings are actually what Mike had set for me. I never felt the need to adjust it much from there....it was only the front end that needed some further tweaking to deal with some chatter under braking. But yes, I'm not entirely sure the valving spec of the shock....I actually picked it up off the old WERA classifieds.

6. gixxersmitty

I completely overhauled the suspension over the winter so it'll be like riding a different bike. I wanted to do a track day on it before I raced it and I didn't want to gamble on getting there and not having a suspension guy at the track day. Thanks for all the input guys.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not sure what tires you are running but I have NTEC slicks on it I run +6mm out back and the forks flushed. I haven't tried it yet but apparently the K5/6 has a bit of short-ish swingarm and the preferred setting is to have the rear wheel pulled as far back in the axle blocks as possible to get better mid-corner stability. That distance is about 23 inches from swingarm pivot bolt to axle.

By contrast, on the K6/7 600, 23 inches is about middle of the axle blocks by comparison.

8. gixxersmitty

I'm running Ntecs as well and have the triples set flush. I'm installing a set of +2mm swing arm eccentrics when I install the shock. I'm going to take measurements at stock height and go +3mm over stock ride height after I compensate for the eccentrics and add or remove ride height as needed.

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Makes sense running the HS more open with what was (most likely) a stiffer stack.

There were two different bodies that could be used on that shock. Use 11mm of installed preload on the spring as a good starting point.

Those clicker settings will get you in the ballpark with the standard piston and valving. Depending on what tires you're using, and where the forks are, that eye to eye will be +/- a few mm. That spring rate will be good for an average race pace for a 180-210 lb. ish rider. Faster riders might like a 525. Run the wheelbase on the longer side.

Longer wheelbases make the swingarm a longer lever and give it more of a mechanical advantage. Don't get married to sag numbers. Give the bike what it wants.

10. gixxersmitty

Thanks guys, definately some good info.

11. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

+1

We ran a 05-06 1000 endurance racing with a penske triple and standard piston/valving. I think we ran a 525 spring, 18-20 rebound, 8-12 lsc, and ~8 out from full soft hsc and close to 330mm for Ntec slicks. If I recall, I thought we could have lowered the rear some. On a lot of tracks, you can just back out the HSC and remove its functionality from the circuit.

Remember, the HSC adjuster is reverse threaded so my 8 clicks is CW from IN(full soft). Most people always count clicks OUT from full stiff, but the penske HSC adjuster is backwards. Some still count from full stiff, but some count from the hard stop which is full soft (like my numbers and per the penske manual). Just an FYI when comparing your numbers to others.

On all adjusters they are still CW = + and CCW = - dampening.

12. gixxersmitty

I'm going to look on Penske's site and see if I can download a manual for the shock. I had no idea the adjuster was like that. Thanks for pointing that out, Matt. I would have had it ass backwards wondering why it wasn't working. :D

13. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

+1

14. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

If you have Shanes number call and ask him you know he has the same shock and bike. Eric helped him get it set up.

15. Ed Sorbo

Ed Sorbo Well-Known Member

It’s true that the threads on a Penske high speed comp adjuster are reverse but you still turn it CW to give more high speed comp damping. The little thing in there is pulling on a small shim stack to give the stack more pre-load.

They used reverse threads so all the adjusters can be turned the same was for more or less damping.

Don’t look at the adjuster, just turn it CW for more and CCW for less. This messed me up too when I got my first Penske.

All Penske's start with their adjusters in the middle of their range.

16. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

What Ed said, all adjusters work same way.
    I had my 06gsxr1k at 5mm longer on shock (from stock), 6 out on LS and 10 out on HS, 525 spring.

17. automan

page 13 on Penske's site reads differently.
    http://www.penskeshocks.com/files/8900_Series_Manual.pdf

18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

this thread had me freaked for a second that i was turning the adjuster the wrong way... glad the change in damping is standard.

no it doesnt. last paragraph on 13 not incl the note.

like Ed said, CW = more.

19. automan

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

That's the exception to the rule, but industry standard is to always measure valving from full closed and springs from full soft.