1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

penske shock

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cane, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Cane

Cane Well-Known Member

what # spring would I need for a 200lb rider when using a penske shock, and would a .90 springs in my front forks be o.k. If not what would you recomend. I am riding a 99 r6. And this will be my first year racing. Any help you can provide would be greatly apreciated.

2. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I bet a 600 lb. spring would work for you. I saw one for sale not long ago here. Do a search for BC61 (I think) was selling it.

You might find the .90's a little light for your weight. Go to Traxxion's site, they have a chart to get you in the ballpark. The .90's might work well enough to get you started, but I bet an expert suspension guy would recomend something with a higher rate.

tom

3. Cane

Cane Well-Known Member

thanks for the info it will defenitly help me.

4. aero1100

aero1100 Well-Known Member

replacing your spring?

Sorry to barge in, but I have am looking for a 425 or 450 spring for my Penske'd EX500. If the spring you are replacing happens to have one of these, I'd be interested. Thanks! - Christopher

5. Cane

Cane Well-Known Member

sorry it is a 550 spring

6. AlphaAuriga

AlphaAuriga Well-Known Member

Wow, I was ready to ask what the numbers were on the Hyperco Spring that comes on the Penske.

I just ordered and received my Penske. It had 600 on the spring. I wanted to double check it that was going to work for my weight, based on what you guys say, it sounds like its right.

I'm 210lbs nekked. So add the requiste riding gear, it sounds about right.

I did the same for the fork springs on the Racetech site and it came up with .88 is what I need so I opted for the .90 since it was closest..... doesn't the higher number indicate for a heavier rider?

7. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I don't want to be giving out bad info to you guys. Cane's post indicated he is a 1st year guy and I know I saw a 600 lb. spring for sale here cheap. I figured he might want to try it and save some money.

I'm pretty sure the Traxxion recomended spring rates for a 160 to 190 pound rider for a 99 thru 02 R6 are 600 lb. rear and .925 front.

Set your sag and see where you wind up. That is the only way I know to make sure you are using the correct rates.

For what it's worth, I weigh 155-160 lb. and run a 550 in the rear and .90 in the front. I'm still playing with it though.

Call Traxxion or some other expert if in doubt.

Good luck.
    tom

8. aero1100

aero1100 Well-Known Member

spring rates

Hi y'all,

Thanks anyhow on the spring Cane. Good luck with your search. Max at Traxxion advised me (190 suited up) that a 425-450 would probably be best on my EX because it doesn't have a lot of travel. What I didn't think to ask him was what the range of spring rates was from spring for light guys like Tom to heavier guys like Alpha. I guess it really depends on the bike. The increased leverage from the different geometry would explain why Cane and Alpha need a spring that is 25% heavier than mine even thought they only have 10-20 pounds on me. I'm currently stuck with a spring that is too light for me. Do any of you know how I could stiffen it up? I'm a new guy and just figuring out sag and preload etc. Thanks! - C

9. Barry

Barry EAT ME simple enough

shock spring

I have a hyper spring 475 off my penske twin clicker
    I'll take 60.00 shiped

thanks Barry