1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peg stand

Discussion in 'Tech' started by BarryG, Apr 27, 2018.

1. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

I battle to get my RC8R on the rear stand by myself. I saw this today[​IMG]
    It’s made in Britain and I could possibly get one sent over here, but wonder if something similar is available in US?
    My idea is that when I come in off the track, I can plug this in to a foot peg to hold the bike up while I sort out getting the bike onto the rear stand.
    That way I don’t need to stand around helplessly waiting for some kind soul to wander by and set me up on the rear stand. My last couple of bikes had sidestands which I didn’t bother taking off for trackdays, but the KTM is the track version with no mounting bracket.
    Thoughts? Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I don't get it.... don't you have to get the thing on a rear stand first to be able to get those on? Maybe a forward handle Pit Bull stand would be easier?

3. Tristan

For what you're describing you could just lean the bike onto a cheap car jack stand

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

I was thinking that if it’s adjusted to the peg so the bike just leans ever so slightly to stand up

5. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

That’s a thought!

6. Tristan

Since those are designed to get the rear off the ground I doubt they adjust low enough to do that (they clearly won't in the pic)

7. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I made one of these for my bike a couple years ago. They use them on dirt bikes, but the one I made fits into the swingarm pivot. It takes up no space and costs almost nothing to make.

[​IMG]

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

A jack stand would work fine for that. Just put a little padding on the top if you want to keep things pretty. Just be careful that the bike doesn't roll (put it in gear if you are on a grade). Putting it in gear will make it harder to lift, but better than than picking the bike up off the ground when it rolls off the jack stand.

I use a pair of jack stands this way when I am swapping out my shock and they work fine holding up the whole back end of the bike.

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

PitBull FTW.....

r6boater likes this.
  12. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

Thanks, all. Going to HF in the morning to pick up a jack stand.
    Just not confident on hanging on/ balancing the bike to attach the rear stand. Need some passive assistance.

13. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

Thanks, all. The HF jack stand solves my problem.
    Independence. It’s a wonderful thing [emoji16]

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

15. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well, based on the picture you posted, that's the closest product produced in the USA that I could equate it to. :D

17. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Ride into a Baxley chock (or equivalent), put the rear stand on, and then roll the bike backwards out of the chock. Obviously more convenient if you already own a chock and use it for transport.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Admittedly I did not read your description in its entirety the first time around. I just thought your wanted jack stands that looked like the picture you described, now after reading your whole scenario you described I'm trying to understand how having this IN ADDITION to a rear stand is going to make life any easier? Sounds like you're just going to clutter up your pit area with unnecessary apparatus.

Just leave your rear stand right in the vicinity of where you intend to pull up and park your bike? When I'm at the track I just leave my rear stand in the spot I'm going to park in the garage. When I get off track I hop off the bike at the garage's entrance and walk the bike back in, rear first right up to the stand and throw it on. I mean whether its a jack stand like this or just a regular rear stand its going to have to be sitting within arms reach of where you park right?

I don't understand what difference "plugging this stand into the peg while I go find my rear stand" is any different than just having your rear stand sitting right where you'd plan to have this kind of stand sitting waiting for you? The purpose of jack stands like these is to hold the bike by the pegs so the swingarm is unweighted if you need to go in and remove the shock (among other things attached to the swingarm.

:whoosh:

TLR67 likes this.
  19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Last time I rolled a hot race tire into a Baxley, I had to wait an hour for it to cool to get it out. A cheaper chock would prob b better for this.

20. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

Well, it’s just that I’m not comfortable/adept at balancing the bike while I walk around the back to get the stand under the bobbins. I should get better with practice and backup but the jack stand idea was a brilliant one, serves my purposes really well.