1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting over chrome

Discussion in 'General' started by Gixxerguy855, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I bought a front rim that was chrome dipped and flaking. I have peeled off a good amount of it but cannot get the remainder off. Should I put the grinder to it or primer it and paint it. It's a track rim only and used Solely for that purpose.

Recommendations?

2. caferace

caferace No.

Do it right. Get it stripped. You never know what damage is underneath. There is a reason it's flaking.

-jim

3. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Do NOT grind it man, sand blast or some thing

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

:stupid: grinding removes metal.

5. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Yep, even if 100% care is taken or a flapper disc is used, metal will be removed

6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Sandblasting chrome is total pain in the ass. It does not come off easily and it's very hard to know when you're through the chrome.

I would send them to a plater and have the process reversed. That's what my powdercoat guy does when I bring him chrome pieces.

7. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

I deal with this all the time. You need to have it stripped at a chrome shop. If you try to blast it, you will remove aluminum while you are trying to remove the chrome. Your wheel will end up wavy looking. They charge $30.00 a wheel around here.