1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paddock stands

Discussion in 'Tech' started by craigcoble2000, Feb 23, 2014.

1. craigcoble2000

craigcoble2000 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a paddock stand, ie MotoMFG or the Bursig? If so, what are your thoughts and what kindof bike(s) are you using it on? :Pop:

Looking for opinions...Pros and cons

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Just buy a front and rear Pitbull stands and be done with it.

3. craigcoble2000

I already have the Pitbull stands...

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The bursig is nice. I dont know how well MotoMFG knocked it off.
    For a paddock stand its pretty nice if the area is finished concrete/pavement.

5. craigcoble2000

Turbo,

Do you have one? If so, what bike to do you use it on?

6. TurboBlew

I do have a bursig. Use it on a GSXR 1k & R6

7. craigcoble2000

what year(s)?

8. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

my boss has a friend who "stored" his rsv4 (on the stand) in our showroom for the summer. the stand was pretty neat. easy as hell to move the bike around and for paddock purposes it could be good...but i could see it being kind of a pain to negotiate on anything but a clean and flat surface.

9. craigcoble2000

Agree....any surface that less then "good' I could see some issues of the stand/bike being difficult to move.

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I have one of the center lift stands that Bryce Prince's Dad built. Don't like it. The pins are not sized right and the chassis leans like it's going to slip off when it's raised. It's quite challenging to adjust correctly as well. I need to get Bursig and see if it works better.

11. craigcoble2000

RM,

Agree....I am in the process of assisting someone develop one for my bike, 2011 GSXR 750. I have noticed the following issues: 1) you have to flip the engine bolt around to accept the "universal pin receiver." When I did this, no problem. However, when the bike sits on the stand the receiver does not seem "beefy" enough thus it flexes. 2) Agree too, about getting the bike adjusted so that BOTH wheels come off the ground. Initially only the rear tire would come off. I resolved this by having the bike on the FRONT stand only and then putting the PADDOCK stand in/on with all the nuts/bolts loose. Then I tightened everything up and it finally worked. Now we are working on beefing up the universal pin receiver. 3) Also it seems the bike does not sit level while on the stand, it looks like its going to tip over toward the throttle side, freaks me out. I have nightmares that I am going to wake up and my bike is going to be on its side!!!

12. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

in my estimation, it'd be handy for doing work on the bike at the track (e.g. - suspension, etc.) but for race day where you're (hopefully) just futzing with your tires i'd opt for my pitbull stands for convenience and ease-of-use. the motomfg stand was solid, for what it's worth. bike was held perfectly straight and level.

13. craigcoble2000

Jim,

good to know....

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I could never figure out why Bursig uses such a short pin to hold the bike up, compared to some of the chassis stands that the pros use for Daytona and such for pit stops. How difficult would it have been to just lengthen that pin a little bit.

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. TurboBlew

2006 & 2007

16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I have the moto MFG stand. 07 GSXR 750.

I have no issues with it.

it takes a little practice, but you can pit yourself.

i can roll it around easily on asphalt, concrete and real easy on a finished surface. I can sit on the ike on the stand with no flex. I am 230lbs

17. craigcoble2000

Fencer,

Good to hear....can you post any pics?

18. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Not right now, the bike is out for the brake recall.

it does not look any different than stock pictures

I got mine from Alex at Misha Cycles. https://mishacycles.com/store/Paddock-stand/

He is a crazy Russian and fellow FJR Rider. If you order tell him Fencer sent you, he may cut you a deal, or stick a KGB bomb in the box:D

About the stand, it did not fit my bike at first, they(Moto MFG) had their specs for my bike all wrong. (pin and plate position for tilt were wrong)

It took a few weeks and a few shipments of trial and error (I still have the extra parts in case they fit a different bike some day) to get the measurements right. I spoke directly with the owner and we got it right. I'll give them a thumbs up for customer service

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014