1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OZ 16.5" wheels - info please

Discussion in 'Tech' started by younglion, Dec 9, 2014.

1. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I'm looking at possibly buying a new-to-me race bike that has OZ forged magnesium wheels -16.5" size.

My question is, whats the consensus on these - to me it looks like a less than ideal setup as tire vendors don't stock this size any longer, I can't use other racers take-offs for track days, and I'd need to pre-order all tires well in advance.

Bike in question is a minty '05/'06 Gix1000.

I'd think if I buy the bike I'd list that set up (includes brand new mounted Pirelli slicks) for sale and swap it for a set of stock wheels.

Any idea on an average asking price for this set up - rubber included?

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

The bike isn't worth any more $$ with 16.5" wheels. If it doesn't come with 17" wheels use it as a haggling point. I think only Pirelli makes 16.5" tires but who knows for how long and you have to pre order. There's a reason you see these for sale for $500 a set including tires.

3. younglion

Well I guess that pretty much sums up my thoughts, it's good to know that my perception seems to be the reality right now.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I think MotoGP is like the only series left still on them. And even they are switching to 17's in 2016 no???

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Yup

6. younglion

Seller has removed the OZ wheels and she now has OEM wheels and new 17" rubbers on her.

Gonna be fun going from 111hp and 44ft lbs up to 168hp and 78ft lbs! :)