1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT-Residential electrical question

Discussion in 'General' started by bdaddy, Oct 17, 2005.

1. bdaddy

bdaddy Well-Known Member

OK all you electricians...
    I have a relatively new dryer. All of a sudden it started tripping the circuit breaker. It was fine earlier in the day. I reset the breaker and it tripped again as soon as I hit the start button. I unplugged it, reset the breaker and plugged it back in. When I did, I could here a crackling noise and a burning smell. Could this be as easy as changing the outlet? The house is 10 yrs old, so I don't think the wiring could be bad already. Any insight would be MOST appreciated as 220v gives me the heebie-jeebies.

To give an idea of the extent of my electrical knowledge...

2. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Sounds like a ground, not an overload

3. bdaddy

bdaddy Well-Known Member

I checked the ground on the dryer and everything seems good there. I'm really ignorant when it comes to this stuff, though, so I may be wrong.

4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

How many times did the new dryer work before the problem appeared? Could be a fault within the dryer.

5. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

Oh and 220 will give you more than the hebe jebes!:D :D

6. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Switch out the exsiting outlet..I had a problem with the fridge a few weeks ago, did the same thing your dryer is...make sure you get a 20 amp outlet, with a ground...:D

7. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: OT-Residential electrical question

electric dryers pull 30 amps, it is proably the outlet though, go down to the local big box or ace hardware store and get a new box, all you need to know is if you have a 4 prong outlet or 3, proably a 4 since the house is only 10 years old, will cost you about five bucks to fix

8. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Re: Re: Re: OT-Residential electrical question

My bad..I thought it was a 20 amp...

Umm, them outles run about 12.00 here...:(

9. DoctorDOver

DoctorDOver Well-Known Member

If it were to ground it would trip pretty much instantly . I would check the outlet and make sure all connections are tight in it . If a new outlet doesn't fix it your dryer is probably fucked . Also change out the cord itself I have been to 2 service calls where the cord burned up . If you have any more questions pm me . I am a card carrying electrician .

10. bdaddy

bdaddy Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody! I'm on my way to the hardware store!