1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT: Outboard Motor question.....

Discussion in 'General' started by packfan, Mar 27, 2008.

1. packfan

packfan El Presidente

Anyone know much about outboard motors?

Im looking at a boat with a Johnson 115 on it. The motor is an 1987 that just had a new lower unit put on it and "the power head was gone thru."

It is a 2 stroke which is fine. I have had Mercurys all my life. Some folks really Like Jonhson's while other seem to loath them...

Anyone?

2. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

I have had a 79 and a 91 johnson and both ran flawlessly till they got old. The 79 lost a bolt in the foot and got some water in it and ruined the lower unit. The motor runs freaking awesome but you can't find a lower unit for it anymore.

The 91 has been giving us problems in the last 2 years but we finally figured it out. The hose from the fuel pump to the carburetor collapsed from the inside out and kept stopping up the carb. On one that old I would go ahead and change the fuel hoses and run it. If the price is right then get it and run it till it is time for a re-power.

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I had a '00 90 which I think is almost identical to the 115. Damn thing had metal flakes in the idle circuit which caused it to cut and not start at nice moments like in front of ships or when coming into an island beach on an outgoing tide. Never trusted the motor after that.

Switched to a direct inject Evinrude 115 after some crack heads stole the 90 and loved it.

The Johnsons aren't as refined as the Evinrudes but they are designed to last. If it is running fine it really depends on the hours on it. The inshore guides in Charleston would repower every year / 1500 hours.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Had a 140 which was a great motor.

FWIW comparing mercs to omc's is like comparing chevys to fords. Its all about how they were taken care of.