1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions wanted... F150 verses Ram 1500

Discussion in 'General' started by buxton, Mar 11, 2014.

1. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

We're looking at a new truck and keep going back and forth between the Ford F-150 4x4 with the 5.0 V8 and the Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.7L V8 Hemi and 8 speed transmission.

What sayeth the Beeb?

Dawn :beer:

2. Bunke10

Bunke10 Well-Known Member

Ram 1500 diesel

3. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

F150 4x4 :D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Flip a coin. We've had both, I prefer the interior of the Ram but then again, it was pimped out and the Ford was pretty basic.

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I was really unimpressed with the F150 interior. Mediocre fit and finish with a surprising amount of creaks and rattles for a car <2 years old. The Ram interior has a higher standard regardless of trim level. Just MHO.

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

My recent experience with Rams build quality leaves little to be desired.

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

F150, no contest.

8. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

I had a 2013 Ram1500 and absolutely hated it. It would continually hunt for a gear and never lock up. The slightest grade or wind change and it would downshift/upshift, about the only time it actually stayed locked up in top gear was downhill.
    So unless they fixed the tranny issues (Dodge claimed that was "normal" and I drove 2 others on the lot that did the same thing) I would run so fast there would be a strip of asphalt on fire making a map right to the Ford dealer
    Not to mention the best mileage I ever got with it was 13 sitting on cruise @ 65 mph on a 700 mile trip completely empty. I hated it so much that days after getting home from that trip I sold my less than month old truck and took the $5k loss
    I have had several F150's with the 5.0 and all them shifted better, stayed in gear better and got better mileage, typically on a trip they would be 20ish, that makes a huge difference over the lifetime of the vehicle in operating costs.

9. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

totally weird that this post happened here and now, JUST had a patient in my office and I found out he was a Dodge dealer that just retired about 4 or 5 years ago. I've had several Ford trucks, and wanted to ask him about the new Ram diesel coming out. His words, and I quote, "Don't get a Ram right now, they're still having some issues with some of the engine configurations and the associated electronic controls". He also told me some horror stories about some of the cheap engineering he saw on some models, not necessarily just the trucks.

I mentioned to him that whenever I saw an older minivan pull away from a stoplight in a cloud of blue oil-smoke, it was invariably a Chrysler product. His answer? "They tried to save $6-10 dollars per unit and put cheap valveguide seals in those engines, and they leak shortly thereafter. He sold his dealership right before Mercedes said Adios, and he said he's never felt luckier to be out from under that place.

So really weird that I see this thread just after he walked out of my office. My brother has a Dodge 1995 3/4 ton with the Cummins diesel, and that motor is darn-near bulletproof. Good thing, because the paint has peeled off nearly the entire truck and the headliner in the cab is hanging down. Piss-poor quality, IMHO.

10. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

f150 will save you some trips to the service dept.. I looked at the ram's but at the end of the day i decided to keep my Tundra, its easily a 200,000 mile truck

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

"Leaves little" or "leaves a little" ?

That one letter makes a big difference ;)

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It's a piece of shit.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

No ambiguity there :D :D :D

14. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

That should clear it up some...:D

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

All of them are getting shitty.

16. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

My 05 Hemi Ram has 100k and has never been to the dealer.

Just sayin

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Neither, buy a GM. :D

18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I have had 3 rams with Hemi's in service.

No motor troubles out of any of them. They will tow some weight too.

One had a cracked radiator from a stone.

Another one had a bad egr valve. Took 15minutes to change and I don't think it was even a hundred bucks.

We had one Ram that literally looked like it was leaning left when you stood behind it. We measured it and sure as shit the bed was 1'' higher on the driver side than the passenger side. We had them check it out and everything they said it was within spec. Crazy.

We kept it for 3 years with no problems other than leaning left. Haha.

We have had pretty shitty luck with Fords.

I would get the Hemi equipped Ram over the Ford.

I can't speak about that transmission though.

I would buy a Toyota before either of those if it was something I was going to pay off and keep. All the guys I know with Toyotas have very good luck with them and they are all over 100K mile trucks.

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Other thing to consider is that you'll very likely be able to get a much better deal on a '14 F150 right now as dealers try to move as much inventory as possible prior to the 2015 hitting lots later this year.

20. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I think you might be on to something...