1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on bikes?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Yankee Bravo, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Yankee Bravo

Yankee Bravo Well-Known Member

OK, looking at a couple of bikes with an eye toward putting it on the track and racing vintage. One is a 1993 Suzuki GSXR600 for V7.mw and the other is a Kawasaki 1993 ZX7R for V7.hw. I haven't rode in awhile, but am not inexperienced rider either. Opinions/comments/experiences with either machine welcome... (Grattan will be the home track)

thanks...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. I think the F3's are going to hand you your lunch. Check the results pages from different events this year and see what bikes are winning. The F2 & F3 seem to be the bike guys are riding in those classes. I'm sure some will chime in.

3. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

Uphill fight either way.
    The Gix6 was their first attempt I believe, & was considered slow & heavy.
    The upside would be you'd get to race the same guys all over again with the bump to 7HWT, plus 1 or 2 V6HWT guys.
    The ZX7 would be a better choice of these two, but can only run in 7HWT. I wouldn't bother trying it in 'B' SB. Handles decent, but not much hp to speak of. Some parts available on the 'bay. Not very many 'true' 7HWT's out there, usually all bump-ups.
    I think you have a decent crew of regulars up at those tracks; Sauce (Alfredo Cantu) posts here regularly.
    I'm guessing these are 2 bikes you already own? If this is a case of running a bike you have for a season or 3, then buying something better, I would go with the ZedX7.
    JMHO.
    Good luck & thanks for coming out!

4. Yankee Bravo

Looking to buy one soon, so my options are open, even for an F3. If I run something other than an F3, at least I have an excuse for not winning ;) Anyway, I would also want something to run in senior sb, since I am over 40... I found a spec site and they listed a portly weight of 459# for the '93 GSXR600... WOW!

Thanks for both comments!

YB

5. TrackF3

TrackF3 Well-Known Member

Here so you can see the spec difference of the Kawasaki 1993 ZX7R, 1993 Suzuki GSXR600, and 1996 CBR600F3 all at the same time.

Attached Files:

6. Yankee Bravo

An extra 48#s dry weight for the GSXR vs the F3? I guess that settles that question... At least I would get 13 more ponies with the ZX7...

Thanks!

7. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

Disclaimer: I don't even like Honders
    If you're buying a bike to get into V7, get an F3.
    I believe some of the guys in your area are selling their steeds.

8. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

It also depends on what you are doing this for? #1. are you wanting to get the best race bike with the best potential to win, or #2 are you doing this for pure enjoyment. if its #1 get a well set up F3 or 95 ZX6R (this would be my choice) and race it in all three classes that you want to run. or #2 get the bike that you have always wanted to put on the track, something that you've seen and thought you would love to race that thing. for me thats always been a ZX7R as hopped up as possible with blue PM wheels and the works like Mr. Russell raced back in the day. I hope that helps. Lance

9. TrackF3

TrackF3 Well-Known Member

My F3 compared to my everyday Blackbird is a feather weight.

F3
    410LBS Dry Weight
    445.3LBS Wet Weight

Blackbird
    491.6 Dry
    588.6 Wet

There's a reason why its 164 HP to move its heavy %$#.

10. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

Another vote for a ZX6R or ZX7...........Honda does make a nice car, scooter, and 4-wheeler........just don't know about race bikes.....lol.

Go Green!

:beer:

Don't let the results skew your choice.........the guys winning on Hondas are really fast..........if they were on Kawi's...............forgetaboutit.

11. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

The other benefit to the F3 is that parts are plentiful and cheap. There is a good chance that you could even find parts trackside at a WERA race.... the ZX, not as likely.

If you want the GSXR route maybe a little older and V6 hw eligible. V6HW grids up with V7 mw and bumps into V7 hw

Vintage 6 Heavyweight
    Pre 1990 Factory road racers up to 750cc.
    Pre 1990 OHC 2 valves per cylinder up to 1200cc.
    Pre 1990 OHC 4 valves per cylinder up to 1100cc.
    Pre 1990 OHC 5 valves per cylinder up to 1050cc.
    Among the eligible V6 Heavy Weight machines are the following: Honda Interceptor VF700/VF750/VF1000F and R, CBR600/750/1000, CB1100F, RS250 up to 1990; Kawasaki Ninja 600/750/900, GPZ1100, ZX7/ZX10; Suzuki GS 1100F, Katana 1000/1100, GSX-R 750/1100 except 1989 GSX-R 1100; Yamaha FJ1100/1200 and Seca 900, FZR 750/1000 except 1989 FZR 1000, FZR600 (regardless of year), TZ750 alloy frame and mono-shock, TZ 250 up to 1990.