1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the topic of identity/individuality...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jul 4, 2017.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I think Ben hits the nail on the head here.....

I know that there's plenty of atheists on here but personally his take on things here makes perfect sense to me. In a time where the left likes to demonize the idea of maintaining cultural/racial/etc differentiation, in stark contrast I find it a great thing to have clear lines of distinction between races and cultures and creeds and so forth. Notice I said distinction, not segregation.

Vibrant variation in races and customs and cultures and what not is what makes the human race interesting and unique. The day when everyone is a giant singular mixed up mish-mosh of oneness of 10 billion people that all look and act and talk the same is the day I don't want to be on this planet anymore.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is plenty of uniqueness within any one single race/sex/culture/whatever. Everyone getting more toward a medium brown will never change that. And there is no way humans will ever all think the same.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Which is why they must be destroyed!

[​IMG]

sheepofblue likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've noticed a trend among the geekier circles on the inter webs of hope that the future will be comprised of an abundance of AI and that human will begin to transfer their consciousness somehow to machinery. Or like somehow put their physical bodies into a state of stasis and live in a Matrix or Avatar-like world.

Weird

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Old. News.

[​IMG]

6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Are people actually hoping for such a world? I don't hope for it so much as see it as inevitable and the logical endpoint for biological intelligence. We will almost certainly invent superhuman machine intelligence within the next 100 years. Neural prosthetics and enhancements will be commonplace within the next 50, tops. It'll take a while for unenhanced man to become obsolete thereafter but it will happen. From a physical and practical perspective, meat bags are inferior in every way to machines and utterly unsuited to long term survival in the universe. If the naked ape variety of human is still around in 1000 years, it'll be as a curiosity, luddites, or zoo animals. There is absolutely nothing to be done to stop it, though maybe we can guide the course.

7. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

you and Gore should get together.....you sound just as crazy.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Before that (or instead of) we'll work through genetic engineering. We're not far at all from being able to "design" our children.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And then they really will be able to blame you for screwing them up.

10. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

AI taking over is the flying car prediction of the modern age.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The people who will be able to afford that stuff aren't having children these days.

12. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

If you're not familiar with CRISPR - its definitely worth a look. The idea of cancer curing shots, designer babies, constant cycling of dying cells (our human dying process) is already here. This will also be so mainstream in 25-50 years that the singularity may consist first and foremost of devices and implants intended to keep our biology steady.

I also just read last week about the storage of a video clip in human DNA. Figure out the recovery method that gets data sent to the brain for interpretation and you have a matrix-esque learning capacity. Just pump data into your existing "hard drive".

I'm with SGVRider in thinking that there is an inevitability to human evolution that is already in progress.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm sure it is, which leads to a whole host of questions.

First, would this type of technology be available to everyone or just to those wealthy and powerful enough to get it?

Second, assuming we figure out a way for everyone to greatly/indefinitely extend their lives, where do we put everyone and how do we feed them?

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It's soylent, and it's green...

crashman likes this.
  15. Chino52405

I think in my lifetime (I'm 38 now), there will be an even more firect correlation between your wallet and lifespan than we see today. Stem cell regen of organs, crispr and technologies we haven't even dreamed of yet will ensure this. And it will likely be just like everything else in a capitalist society - gotta have the dough or wait for the tech to trickle down.

Rounding it back to the topic title - this MAY be correlated to why birthrates are way down in most western nations and there is a movement toward uniform gender identification among many kids. Knoweldge of our current dominance as a species and our progression is no longer strictly based on survival and reproduction. Could it be that these environmental factors are actually altering some aspects of our DNA?

To support this potential shift and ensure we're not erased as kids have less sex and don't feel the same urges to create mini me's...Fertalized embryos have been created from 2 male sperm samples (no female/no egg) and external uteruses have been in testing with animals for some time now as well. Many women do not feel as though they should be saddled with pregnancy and all that comes along with it simply because that's how it's always been, etc.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

She's unique...just like everyone else.

17. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Cite the bolded, please.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Don't worry, the third world is teeming with breeders who are ready, willing and able to replace such women.

19. Chino52405

You are correct to question and I misremembered what I read. Widely believed possible but nearest actual production from a study I could find in a quick search now was mouse pups from sperm and a non egg cell.

20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Fair enough, thanks!