1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older GSXR(?) Caliper Info

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 83BSA, Jan 14, 2019.

1. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I have what I believe to be a 1991 GSXR front end on a tigcraft single I'm building. These are the forks:
    [​IMG]
    and a caliper (disassembled):

[​IMG]

The caliper has two (2) pistons: one is 30.4 mm OD and the other 25.4 mm OD. This photo shows the two pistons and their seals:

[​IMG]

I ordered OEM seals for a 1991 Suzuki GSXR 750, but I received only large diameter seals for the 30.4 mm piston.

Do I not have a 1991 GSXR caliper? If so, does anyone know what the caliper with the two different sized pistons may be? I'm pretty sure the fork is a 1991 GSXR, but the seals received and the caliper have me scratching my head. It could be the wrong seals were sent - I have less than full confidence in the changes in parts numbers and what I received.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Those look like the 91 forks I have sitting in the shop.

I was told by a buddy doing a resto on a Sling shot caliper recently that some of the seals are no longer available ( at least as OEM) so maybe that's the issue?

3. Chuck78

Chuck78 Well-Known Member

Subscribing to this one. I also have a set of calipers that look very similar to those that are off of some year of GSXR. A guy sent them to me along with some 89 GSXR1100K conventional cartridge forks. I was under the impression that they were not off of the 89, but they are the same mounting pattern.

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

RRP -

Thanks for the quick reply. Non-OEM availability could be the issue. On the Suzuki parts fiche, the original numbers have been replaced by two different, but close, numbers. Despite the number difference, the seals are the same: big diameter piston only. Hence, my skepticism. The parts diagram seems to show large and small pistons. I also looked at All balls racing, and their '91 caliper kit seems to show large and small diameter pistons. I've emailed All balls and I await their reply. But, that is just a backup - everyone knows that the real truths in the Universe are exposed on the BBS.

Chuck78 -

I can provide mounting hole, etc dimensions if that would help. But, I think you're in a bit of a similar situation to me: we think they are GSXR calipers, but the year is a mystery for replacement parts.

Cheers,

Dave

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Also - and FWIW - I believe the rear brake caliper (if your using it) is the same for 88-92 GSXR, SRAD GSXR, TLS/TLR and 99-02 SV650.

I can vouch for the 88-92 GSXR and 1G SV as I have both.

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

All -

I emailed All Balls earlier today with questions and dimensions. I received a call from their R&D group and we had an extensive chat about what I was trying to do, what we thought stuff and wasn't and dimensions of pieces. Subsequent to that telephone discussion, I received this email:

Hey David,
    It looks like I may have the seals that you need. However, curiosity got the better of me and I was able to find NOS seals for the early GSXR’s that they superseded the number for. The seals that I have that match the dimensions your looking for don’t cross to anything Suzuki which is why I would like to investigate this a little further to make sure our current caliper kits are correct. I should have those seals in a couple days but let me know If you have any more questions.
    Thank You,

David Houseal

Now that is awesome customer service. In this day and age, it is rare to find anyone who is interested in their job, much less taking an interest in someone else's project and spending the time, effort and intellectual horsepower to go beyond the routine. I've heard good things about All Balls before, and this simply underscores that recommendation. 2 thumbs up and a tip 'o the hat from me.

Cheers,

Dave

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. Andy Lauder

Andy Lauder Member

Actually I've always found the customer service in the U.S. to be of an exceptionally high standard (I did live there for a number of years)

Australia could learn a thing or 2,its fuckin average here!!!

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. tzrboy

tzrboy Working hard to play harder!

Dave,

Starting in 1988, the Suzuki GSXR Nissan front calipers where as you have, utilizing the 2 different sized pistons.

I have the same calipers on an 88 front end, here at my top secret location of bike building evil.... lol

I’m also 30 min from All Balls, if he needs to confirm what he has or gets in, before he ships out. I can call him, as I need a set for both calipers.