1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old dude newbie FZR400

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by bsanorton, Oct 6, 2021.

1. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

Just picked up the FZR400 from pawpawrc (Steve) yesterday. Wanted something to do track days and who knows a race or 2? Have done a few track days in the past on much larger bikes. This opportunity seemed perfect. As I was going through the bike I realized the stock coolant overflow was replaced by a bottle. So my questions are how do I check the level, by radiator cap? What coolant is used for racing (water?) and should normal coolant be used when storing to prevent corrosion? What is needed to do a race as far as licensing, who offers it, cost? What classes can the FZR400 run in? Lastly how does a quicker shifter work and if the electronics fail can I still go about shifting manually? thank you in advance.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Bottle should be 1/4 to 1/3 full when cold. Water for racing, coolant in storage.

3. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Check coolant level by removing the radiator cap. Use water and water wetter. Bottle you have is likely just acting as overflow reservoir. Racing license can be earned at select WERA events (WERA racing school) or Ed Bargy racing school (www.edbargy.net). I can't remember the cost as it's been almost 20 years. If quick shifter fails the bike can still be shifted normally. FZR400 runs in V6LW, D Superbike, Formula 2 and up a class to V7MW. The bike is likely eligible for D Superstock if it's still mostly in stock trim.

4. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

Thank you