1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old/Classic Toyota Trucks - Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jan 7, 2020.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I've been looking at some of the Toyota Pickups on Classic Autotrader and was surprised at what I saw. Some of them look to either be fully restored or still in pretty damn good condition. When I see trucks like this, my first inclination is to buy, buy, buy. However, I don't want to get a money pit. Are the older trucks like these suitable for daily drivers, or are these trucks primarily good for weekend fun drives? The truck I want will have to be as reliable, as it would be my daily commuter.

Obviously, some are in better shape than others, but a few seems to be in great shape. What do you guys think? Here are a few examples, so you can see what I'm looking at/talking about.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1980/toyota/pickup/101149519
    https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1991/toyota/pickup/101262249
    https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1980/toyota/pickup/101230598
    https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1986/toyota/pickup/101195331
    https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1984/toyota/pickup/101072999

Any thoughts on trucks like this? Is it worth pursuing, or should I let my dream of having a restored Toyota 4x4 pickup die...? LOL!

2. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Cool trucks but those asking prices are ridiculous. Maybe for a collection but no way I could use one as a daily driver for those prices.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Maybe $2,500. No way 25k.

Photo and trussdude like this.
  4. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

anytime you go to any site that uses the word "classics" be prepared to pay too much. Just start scanning Craigslist and you're sure to find someone that wants to get rid of an older Toyota truck. I had one back in the early 90's that I put 265,000 miles on the original engine and still sold it for ~ $800 when I got rid of it. But $24K for an 80's model Toyota? No thanks.

5. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

I had one just like that 86 back in the day. Thing was bullet proof. If I recall the one thing that kept popping up every now and then, other than normal wear and tear, was the head gasket. I think I had it replaced like 4 or 5 times. Probably from me beating on it all the time. It was my daily driver for years. I think I had 225K miles on it when I got rid of it. One thing for sure, since I got a big boy GMC 4x4 I don't think I could ever go back to a small older truck. They ride, well like a truck. If that's no issue and you don't need power everything they are a blast and you'd be surprised how much mud they can handle....

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Old hilux’s are awesome. I’d never get one for a daily driver nowadays but if I could buy just to preserve it ,I would. Prices suck for non rusted out models though

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I had an 88 with the small back seat sold it for $5500, 4 years after buying it for $7200. At those prices wish I would have kept it. :(

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Find out where these fuckers who are asking these prices get their mushrooms...probably a better deal.

Senna likes this.
  9. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

You want to pay $20-30 grand for a 30-40 year old bare bones truck? And you need it to be reliable as a DD? What's the motivation here? I think you could probably find a much better use for your money unless you're really after the aesthetic.

10. sharkattack

True. For $20K, I can get a reliable daily driver. I guess I was after the aesthetic and "fun" of driving a small pickup. Maybe I got bit by the nostalgia bug a bit too hard?

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Agree those prices are insane. If you want something that you can daily drive and won't lose your ass on resale, you need to find something that a million people aren't already nostalgic for. As far as "old" Toyotas, the '03 to '08 4Runners (especially with the V8) and the GX470's are awesome vehicles and IMO very undervalued these days.

12. sharkattack

Yeah, but I guess it's what the market will bear. If someone is willing to pay it, why not ask for it? I'd never pay that much for one though, no matter how clean/perfect it looked.

Sabre699 likes this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have 95 (250K) and 99 (305K) Tacomas for parts delivery/errand trucks.

The 99 came with the last forklift company I bought and is so beat up I bought the 95 a couple years ago with fresh ok paint for $2700, to present a slightly better image. Then I allowed my semi-homeless salesman whom I've known since 89 to drive the POS 99 for the past 18 months while he saved up to buy a car.

I drove both this weekend and learned my guys are driving the 95 with a severe pull to the right. I took it in for alignment. It needs shocks, and the guys managed to put dents in 2 areas. But no one fucking knows who did it? That just infuriates me, as people screw up and I don't fire them for it, but I want to know about it.

I let them take it home on weekends if they need to move something so I'm guessing that is how it happened?

95 needs a clutch, it slips when I drive up the freeway ramp trying to merge at a high rate of speed, but they claim not to notice and we bypassed the heater core when it sprang a leak. Also out in a new radiator.

99 would be nicer since it is fuel injected. The tail gate is broken, outside drivers door handle broken you must reach in through the window to open the door, vice grip for a window crank, no parking brake, 2 people needed to open the hood, etc.

Having said that, they are super reliable, which is why I bought another used one. So other than cheap parts that break they seem to go forever.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  14. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

my first truck at 16 years old was a 91 yota with the 22RE engine. that thing was so awesome, easy to work on, lasted for years of abuse by a teenager (me) and was pretty much perfect, for 3500 bucks. single cab, stock height, nothing fancy at all. no AC, manual rolling windows, stick shift, bench seat and absolute shit speakers.

nostalgia? f^#k that. ill take my current truck with AC and bluetooth and is actually comfortable to drive all day every day.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I buy American, so I'm a little biased. You could pick up a 2000+ ranger with the 4.0 for cheaper than those if you want the small truck feel. Or an S10 or a newer Colorado with the mediocre 5 cylinder.

If you want the vintage Japanese truck experience on a budget, I'd suggest a 90s Isuzu pickup. They didn't even have a name, just 'pickup.' With a manual trans, transfer case, and hubs they're about as complicated and reliable as a brick. Can be had for about $2500 in decent shape if you hunt around.

16. tsflstb

tsflstb Well-Known Member

You have about 90HP with the 22re, and 4wd mass doesn’t help.

My 93 was nostalgic but not great for freeway speeds.

Thought it was a great find but with only 103k it needed rings on #2 and #3 cylinders, must have the only dud they ever made.

17. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My dad has had a Totyota since 82. He won't own anything else. Every single one goes until the body essentially rusts off the frame. Then somehow he finds another one in a barn somewhere and it will last another 6-7 years.

Those little 4cyl 22RE motors are damn near bulletproof. Keep an eye on the timing chain but that's all he ever did for maintenance.

britx303 likes this.
  18. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

I have a 94 two wheel drive that I’ve had since 94. It’s been my daily driver and until last summer my tow vehicle. Wife said her days peeing in the bathhouse was over. I change the oil every 10,000 miles and put tires on it occasionally. There are 2 problems with this truck, I’ve heard that Toyota doesn’t support them anymore, and anywhere I go somebody approaches me about selling it. I’ve never asked about a price and just don’t want to sell. But at 25k I would have to think about it. For me it’s a great daily driver, it’s gotten me to retirement and my mileage is pretty minimal. In 25 years I’ve replaced the leaf springs, so as to carry heavier loads, replaced the speedometer and the radio. A couple of clutches and rebuilt the brakes Not bad

19. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

To buy a 25 year old truck as a daily driver is probably not a good bet

20. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I wish we had not gotten rid of our '93 Toyota pickup years ago. I have a 2010 now but it has the electronic fun police, which take some of the fun out of attempted stupidity on ice and other slippery stuff.