1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay boys and girls, use sunscreen before you're old like me

Discussion in 'General' started by John Ulrich, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

I had a biopsy done of a slightly abnormal spot on the left side of my nose, between my nose and my left eye 5 years ago. It turned up positive for the basal cell (IIRC), not melanoma, thank goodness.
    Next part was when the doc had to do the procedure to remove the remainder of the cancerous tissue on my nose. He used some sort of device that looked like a soldering iron and burned the skin on and below the surface in that spot.
    I had to wear a bandaid obviously for a few weeks (people probably thought my (ex)husband was beating me) and faithfully used the peroxide and antibiotic cream as it healed, and you can barely see the scar today.

2. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Thank God for melanin!

Hope your OK, JU.

3. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Kind of weird this being posted today,I just got the 6 month check up post card in the mail today. Had the very same stuff as J.U. might have cut out of my face(cheek),you guessed it 6 months ago. No mamby-pamby creams,ointments,soldering irons or freezing for my doctor. John is right, what a screwed up way to start your day. On the up side, this is supposed to be one of the best kinds of cancer to get.
    I like to think the scar adds character.

And just to show you how screwed up I really am,I'd still rather have a silver dollar sized piece of my face cut off than eat broccoli...

Don't worry J.U., things usually have a way of turning out better than you think.

The dark side of me has been wondering (for about 6 months now) what got John Britten?

tom hughey

[This message has been edited by YamRZ350 (edited 12-14-2001).]

4. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Well-Known Member

JU - The very best to you! I too had to face the "C" word recently. Like you, after years of sun worship (sailing) without a shirt on, I found a mole on my back that was suspicious. Didn't do anything for a *&^% year and then. bingo, stage 4 melanoma! I was taken to the hospital the next day to have the “tissue” removed and they dug a hole bigger than those at Nelson Ledges. They also did some trick stuff and found out the cancer was tracking by way of the lump nodes under my right arm. So they removed a bunch of them. They told me I was probably 30 days from major problems, which meant it would have gotten into my system and by now I’d be dust! I was never so scared in my entire life. And it changed me forever. Being a blue-eyed white boy, having a CA tan no longer was important!!! So dude, cover your old butt up from the sun, wear long sleeved shirts, and load up the sunscreen. And all you BBSers, do the same!