1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil catch can

Discussion in 'General' started by rafa, Jun 27, 2018.

1. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

What are you guys doing for oil catch cans for the crankcase breather?
    Any catch cans out there?
    Send it back to the airbox?
    Vent to atmosphere?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not atmosphere - at least a filter on it. Favorite beer seems to be a popular option :D

K51000 and rafa like this.
  3. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

From Chapter 9 of the WERA Rulebook.

o) If the crankcase ventilation hose is relocated from the airbox it must be routed to a catch can and the stock air box hole must be plugged

Sounds like you don't have to use a catch can if you don't want to relocate it and just leave the hose to the airbox. Other than that, I got nothing! :D

4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    Might just route it to the airbox, bike had it going to the pair valves, but i got blockoff plates and wasnt sure where to route it too. Seems like kawasaki use to have a catch can for the ZX6R but was priced way too high and is hard to find now.

5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I used an aluminum camping gas can.

rafa likes this.
  7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I used a plastic gatorade bottle and drilled a hole in the cap for the hose.

rafa likes this.
  8. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I use a plastic backpacking water bottle. flat, not round, seems to fit better. Or a pop bottle with a hole drilled in the side, top open.

rafa likes this.
  9. bj

bj Well-Known Member

Maple syrup can. IMG_0450.JPG

Banditracer likes this.
  10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Piece of pvc and two end caps, and add a fitting for the line.

rafa likes this.
  11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I checked your profile to see if you were Canadian. :crackup:

12. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I used an EPA tank from a Textron King Air B300. It was heavy AF, but cool looking.

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Did you get your local FSDO to sign off on that 337? Or did you consider it a minor alteration?

:D

motoboy likes this.
  14. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

get your wifes exersize bottle. just dont let her know. the aluminum ones are in sexey colors, purple, im sure the pink ones would realy look good.there are also blue and red.

15. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

It's PMA for a vintage bike. But it was a BMW, so the EASA certs were a nightmare.

ChemGuy likes this.
  16. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

17. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Been working good for 6 years so far. Lord knows I have a silly amount of beer cans laying around but it's a fit and finish thing on this one for me.

K51000 likes this.
  18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of these on my sumo, so far they're holding up beautifully.

19. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies and ideas guys. Will figure something out.

20. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If you use some form of thinner plastic, be mindful of where you place it. Would suggest anything but plastic even though I'm sure someeone here will pipe in and say that they've been using plastic ones since the stone age.
    All I know is that I've seen a plastic one melt through and it wasn't pretty.