1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins | ya 305 preset/sag | remote question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rico750, Jul 6, 2010.

1. rico750

rico750 Well-Known Member

I got a ohlins ya 305 on my R6 see pic:

http://www.hardracing.com/images/Ohlins_YA305.JPG

with the remote adjuster i can move the preload up and down.. but is there a way to turn the ring as well and bring the whole thing within the the correct preload setting/correct sag and then just use the remote adjuster to fine tune? Im just new to this type of shock.. and was wondering what to do if we cant get the shock in sag-range even with the correct spring. And if the ring/unit can be turned down and or up does the shock need to come off the bike for that or can i do it on the bike?

Thanks for the input guys!

Rico

2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Don't worry the shock should come with the correct static preload.If you have a problem getting the right sag you will probaly need a differant spring. How much do you weigh.

3. rico750

so you think correct preload should be set just by the remote adjuster?

i'm 215Lbs and the spring the spring should be for a 200lbs person.. i can get the spring number later.

4. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Yes, the "ring" (aka jam nut) can be turned to move the hydraulic adjuster down the shock body which will increase the baseline pre-load (make the lowest setting higher...). There is a spec for the installed spring height. You should check this with Ohlins. I just looked at my YA505 spec sheet and it says "spring pre-load: 10 mm". I'm not sure if they are saying to draw the spring down 10mm from free length or what...go the Ohlins website and write the tech support. You'll get an answer within 48 hours.

Are you sure you have the correct spring? I have an 2005 model with the YA505. Traxxion recommends the 1093-36 Ohlins spring (way stiffer than the Race-tech recommendation) and I'm 200 lbs. The 1093-36 is 10.7 kg/mm (600 lb/in). The next step up is the -39 at 11.21 kg/mm (628 lb/in)...that's a pretty significant jump....so I'm thinking the -36 is right.

IF you have the correct spring (prolly the -36) AND you can't get the bike to a 25 mm static sag THEN either the adjuster isn't working at all (you will see it extend if its working) OR it needs to be moved down the shock body until its drawn the spring up to Ohlins spec'd installed spring height (do this with the adjuster retracted to the lowest setting.

I think the YA305 jam nut can be moved while on the bike but I'm not for sure. If there's NOT a locator pin extending from the valve body to the hyd adjuster then it prolly can. If there is, you might have to take it off the bike.

5. gixxerboy55

If your ordered the shock sprung for your weight, and it has the right spring and the right static installed preload, then you will be able to set your sag correctly with the remote, that's what it's for.

6. gixxerboy55

The correct installed static preload of 10 mm. sounds good, mine was set at 9 mm. To change the installed preload you might have to take the shock off and use a spring compressor, if this is the case it is best done by someone that knows suspension.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I had the same question on a ttx i had bought, the adjuster moves quite a bit though, probably 8mm or so, unless your grossly off on the spring i think you wont have to move it. On mine if you were to turn it it looked like the hose would hit the body of the shock.

8. rico750

thanks guys ! great awnsers!! i do have the 1093-36 spring and so i should be ok. Will check sag tommorow with a friend and let you know! great input!! thanks vitamin-E and otherS!

rico