1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ohlins FPK in 07 R6 forks

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pilotx1, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

Is there anything weird or done not per the procedure outlined in the FPK kit manual from ohlins when installing these? I just installed a set on a friend's forks and per rider feedback am now second guessing myself as to their installation.

I took my time and went very slowly and carefully with them following each step to a T.

could it be he's not used to the change in feel from them with the new valving?

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The FPK is a generic 20MM kit. The only thing different in the kits from bike to bike are the spacers. The piston and the shims are the same.

What is the rider saying is wrong?

3. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

The kit I received years ago had no recommended shim stacks for bike, weight etc. so had to wing it and re-shim till it felt right. Did your kit come with any recommendations? If not it's most likely not the best setup for your friend although it's possible it is and he may not feel comfortable with it yet. Have you tweaked the adjusters and preload as well?
    You can also call Ohlins support. Usually they can give you some guidance.

4. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

5. Pilotx1

hes not well versed at all in describing suspension "feel"

but heres what I got from him

(1)stiff on corner entry and to the apex
    talked to him more about what stiff meant to him and hes feeling the bumps and textures of the track more than he was before I worked on the forks.
    (2) no longer running wide on exits
    (3) feels good (stable and planted) under braking.

The install manual had nothing for shim setup, just said slide the provided assembly from the delivery carrier onto the valve bases.
    yama-saurus, thats the exact manual I have

Part of why Im second guessing is because he told me that a couple other people said his forks didnt feel right when they bounced them up and down (no one else rode it)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  6. metricdevilmoto

Were springs changed as well?

7. Pilotx1

yes, a new set of springs were installed at the same time as the FPK, the proload spacers were also changed accordingly to compensate for the different overall spring height I believe he went from the stock .90 to .95s per his weight. I dont have my nots on what I did so dont quote me exactly on those spring specs, I am sure though that he went up in rate.

Im not concerned about the additional feel hes getting from them as much as that people said they dont "feel" right...im probably being paranoid but Id rather that than assuming something I did is correct but is infact wrong.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  8. metricdevilmoto

You've got a lot of variables, my friend.

9. Pilotx1

tell me about it.

I tried talking him out of the valves and to just do the springs and go from there.
    its a challenge figuring out whats going on with his bike since he doesnt know how to communicate what its doing either..

now with the new springs and valves at the same time its starting from scratch just in time to get 1 weekend in on the bike before the season ended for him.
    to make thins even better he hasnt been keeping any notes about his setup:wow:

I was just mainly concerned about of magical trickery during the install that I wasn't aware of. As long as there's none of that, I'm confident I followed the manual for them correctly and didn't screw up anything along the way.

10. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

11. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

Never had a rider who didn't think they were an improvement.
    I did catch myself putting the shims on backward once :tut:

12. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

It is just like dancing. If you are working with a rider who is lost for words to describe bike actions, he just needs to pretend riding it, to show you what he feels, then it comes down to how well you the set up guy know the rider, and how good you are at interpreting his body language. Have him watch a few vids of top boys talking to there technicians, 95% of them are flat out with there hands and legs showing what they are verbally saying to there team, then tire wear patterns, and suspension travel guides kick in also. Just my 1 cent worth.

13. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Joe, is your business located in Michigan Detroit?

14. metricdevilmoto

I put a rebound piston on upside down before. Caught it when I was bleeding the cartridge.

"Hmm. That feels funny."

15. Pilotx1

havent read the suspension bible myself nor has he, i am working on getting him through traxxions suspension for mortals DVDsthough

16. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

Yup, just north of the Motor City.

17. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Cool. I really like Detroit