1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins Cartridges Kit Questions

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxerjoe, Sep 13, 2020.

1. gixxerjoe

gixxerjoe Well-Known Member

This could be a silly question, but besides the price is there a big difference between the FKR (spring pressurized) cartridge kit over the cheaper but more popular FGK (NIX 30MM) kit?
    I'm not keen on the technical aspects of the 2 kits but would like to know differences in performance.

Thanks.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Just to clarify...are you asking about differences in

Price?
    Performance?
    Feel?
    Something else?

I would consider also asking someone like Thermosman about this directly. He's worked directly for Ohlins and with Ohlins suspension for a very long time. He can be reached at that nickname at gmail dot com.

3. gixxerjoe

Hey,

thanks for the reply. Im interested in performance and since you mentioned it, feel too.

will contact him.

4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Had the FKR's on my old bike. Nice setup. The TL;DR I got from T-Man (whom I bought them from) stated the FKR's are more compliant over a wider variety of track conditions (bumps, etc). Stupid easy to change springs as well. Take the caps off and they're right there.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Same setup on just about every set of carts out there for spring swaps.

The FKRs are a much better cartridge than the 30s, but only a little better than other non-pressurized carts on the market. The GP25 carts are a much better option than the 30s.

gapman789 and TurboBlew like this.
  6. gixxerjoe

The GP25 are Gas pressured?
    I'm leaning towards Ohlins TTX GP shock. I have the Penske/Elka rear on my SV and they are good. I want to try the Ohlins.

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The GP25 cartridges are not pressurized. But they are better than the Ohlins 30s.

If you're insisting on Ohlins, I'd go with the FKRs.

8. gixxerjoe

Off the website, Ohlins FKR: "Features include a spring pressurized system, compared to the old gas pressurized system, the spring pressure offers a more simplistic and user friendly design".
    What does this mean, and is there any other models that uses spring pressurized? Is this just the traditional spring set up?

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Spring pressurized fork carts use the topout spring to produce some extra oil pressure inside the sealed cartridge. Regular fork carts are open bath with an unsealed cartridge, so there is no extra oil pressure. The K-Tech DDS carts are also spring pressurized, as are Ohlins steering dampers.

Ive never done a back to back comparison btw regular and pressurized cartridges. But it sure felt like bumps were smaller and the chassis was less unsettled when I switched to pressurized carts. The bike became easier to ride, even if the setup wasn't dialed yet. The cost is a lot of $$ for a margin gain. Thats just how it goes when you want to go fast(er). Hell, the extra cost is cheaper than 1 crash.

Gino230 likes this.