1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh, don't try and sell that prime location . . .

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

2. caferace

caferace No.

Do they supply the patches?

edit: NVM, sounds like they do, sort of: i. At Events: All number plate stickers and adhesive apparel patches will be available at Tech Inspection at each event.

-jim

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I would put a HUGE sponsor logo above the ones they make you wear. On the AMA flattrack side of things they have gone spec fuel this year. New rule is that if you have a logo of VP or a competing brand other then Sunoco even on your hauler that it has to go. Not just the bike or leathers. I think I would have to be wearing a VP hat around the pits if I was a flattracker. AMA is going a bit overboard now.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Probably sell them to you. 0 down, 12 easy payments.

I know I shouldn't have clicked the link. Every year, I get all wound up and do the ape.

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

That sort of sucks for guys just wanting to do one off races here and there in AMA, but run another brand tire with WERA (like me maybe).

I get the AMA patch, and the title sponsor patch

Sunoco not so much

I can understand having to tape over another tire brand, but having to add THREE dunlop tire patches is a bit ridiculous for sure.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

Who can we dare to put them upside down...?

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Can always turn them over before sewing them on and put the back of the patch facing out.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If those companies were providing things to the riders instead of just being brands that give the ama money so the riders have to buy them, then it wouldn't be a big deal.

9. Chango Malo

Chango Malo Well-Known Member

History repeats itself. At least each company has posted a points fund but it's still kinduv late to tell people they have to run the patches since some teams have already done 2012 PR photography.

10. Chango Malo

What do the riders have to buy from Army National Guard? M16s? Blackhawks? Boots? What?

11. Chango Malo

And what do they have to buy from GoPro? Three cameras per bike?

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I guess I should have specified Dunlop and Sunoco, figured it was pretty much obvious.

13. Chango Malo

The story Dave K linked to talked about class sponsors.

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

If you open the PDF you have to have dunlop on both shoulders, and lower back, class sponsor on right chest, AMApro on left chest, and sunoco on left arm

15. Venom51

So since they mandated patch quantity, type and placement they are going to alleviate entry fees for those found in compliance correct?

Otherwise they need to shut the fuck up and hope teams want to come waste money in their series.

16. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

No doubt. but instead if you dont have those things you wont get points as I gathered it, or purse money. You will instead get a warning. If you do a second event without them you lose points and have to start from the back of the grid. NOt sure what else it said. I forget.

Like I said, the class sponsor, I get it. AMA patch, I get that too. I get having to tape over competing sponsors (like a pirelli or VP patch) but I think it is stupid to demand the sunoco or dunlop patches.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and what winds me up most about the 3 'lop patches is <drum roll please> how much does dunlop pay in contingency? For a win do they give you another patch for your leathers and 15 more stickers to put on your bike?

I got no sword fighting monkey in this but . . . gawd damn does this piss me off.

18. Venom51

I could see it if there was money to be made hand over fist racing but it just isn't there certainly in the AMA.

19. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

Comparisons to Dunlop/DMG could easily take this topic Dungeon bound.

20. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

World Superbike is the same. MotoGP is the same. If you want fair competition you have to have spec tires. If you have spec tires the riders are required to run the logos. Where is the outrage toward MotoGP, WSB, BSB? Hell, those series don't even have purse money.

On the other hand, telling people they have to run class sponsor logos about 5 weeks before the first race, when the class sponsorship deals were announced in November and December, and putting out a press release threatening them with loss of purse, points and grid positions, THAT's flat stupid, draconian and unprofessional. Am I back in the 1990s again?