1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OFFSET TRIPLE TREE/CLAMP QUESTION.................

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cobalt Coupe, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Cobalt Coupe

Cobalt Coupe Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a source or some info as far as obtaining a set of offset triple clamps for a 2006 GSXR 1000 ....................BUT, without getting into great detail I need them to offset to move the front tire AWAY from the engine, or forward, or raked out - however you want to describe it.
    Most offset triples I find move the front tire in closer for quicker steering etc., figured maybe someone on here could point me in the right direction, to go the other direction......................

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Attack triple clamps come with different offset inserts So say you have 28mm offset with a 0 insert. If you put in a 2mm insert you have 26mm offset or 30mm offset depending on how you install the inserts.

3. Theducatiman

Theducatiman Well-Known Member

Just curious, why would you want to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Cobalt Coupe

I knew someone would ask.................................putting a bigger turbo on a 7.90 grudge / drag bike and the front tire is almost on the turbine housing even with a super low profile tire. Just not enough room to fit everything in the space we have, need some more room to allow for tire growth. Trying to not have to build a new header etc to move the turbo way off to the side or having to get into neck mods. Even going to a 16" front wheel ( $1200 + ) wont help too much cause the tire is almost the same height as the lo pro 17" is. My thought is if I can rake the front end away from the engine enough to gain .250 - .500" of room we'll be good to go, and in a straight line the rake might help stability, but shouldn't hurt it any. I'm open to other suggestions if you guys have any, just trying to keep it simple.............

I'll give Attack a call and see how much room I'd gain with their set up. Thanks guys

5. Algonquin

Algonquin VRRA and DOCC no.92

You lose trail with increased offset and as you know, stability goes with it. Did you check your projected clearance with longer forks or extending your existing forks? That effectively increases rake with no sacrifice in trail numbers.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

that^^

Cobalt Coupe, uve got some stuff backwards. less offset == more trail. offset triples may reduce the offset because stability at speed is great for going around a corner at 100mph.

I think u could easily get 0.5" with longer forks, stiffer fork springs, and/or more fork preload.

5axis likes this.
  7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

There is a ton of info online about rake/trail. It’s best to look at those diagrams to really understand it. Especially dealing with offsets. If it were my drag bike I’d rake the frame.

8. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

Sounds like you need raked triples like they use on choppers.

9. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

you can also look at a smaller profile tire, like 120/60 old Michelin slick

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im positive there is a pirelli tire that works. Its a 90/80-17. Plus its like super light!

11. TurboBlew

Also Ive seen guys swap the radial forks around so the calipers are on the front side.

Boman Forklift and 418 like this.
  12. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

or go find a cbr900 front 16 wheel and make it fit

13. Cobalt Coupe

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm no chassis / suspension engineer, but in simple terms, don't rake / trail go hand in hand ? As in, if you increase rake, the trail increases with it ?

Take the Attack adjustable triple tree for example - I'm thinking if I go that route, I could just use the offset spacers same / same top and bottom to keep the same angle, but move the forks / front wheel forward, basically extending the wheelbase of the bike by a small amount .?

14. Cobalt Coupe

Like I mentioned above, already have a Pirelli 90/80-17 lo pro tire on it

15. Cobalt Coupe

I don't really want to get into frame mods, and even if I did class rules wont allow it.

16. TurboBlew

if you only need a 1/2"... maybe try flipping the forks?

17. Cobalt Coupe

I am looking into a 16" front wheel as an option, a lot of Pro Street class guys go that route ( mostly for weight reasons with carbon wheels ), but most I've looked into the tire diameter doesn't end up being that much smaller than the lo pro 17" we have on it now.

18. Cobalt Coupe

I am going to look at that option, I have seen it done somewhere, just not sure why. But it seems to me the center of the front axle is the same line as the center of the fork tubes, so I don't think it will change my clearance issue.?

19. Cobalt Coupe

As far as longer forks, stiffer etc, ( which theoretically will raise the ride height ? ) this thing is on the ground, as in in the weeds low right now. We don't want to have to raise the ride height for any reason, and as it sits now, raising the ride height will only make the clearance issue worse. Because as it sits the center of the tire is already ABOVE the turbo, as in the largest part of the tire circle is above the turbo, so actually lowering the front would give us more clearance, but we can't go much lower, if any, as it is. We'd have to raise it so high to get around to the other side of the tire circle, it would look like a 4x4 truck. If I'm explaining this right it should make sense, I think.....................

20. Cobalt Coupe

I talked with DME last night and they have a line on a front tire option that's even smaller than the Pirelli on it now. And it doesn't grow at speed nearly as much, so I'll see where that takes us. That and I am going to talk with Attack and see what they think, so hopefully between the two we can make something work.

Thanks a lot for all the info and ideas you guys. Keep 'em coming.............................. I appreciate the help.