1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM Service manual or Clymer?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pscook, Jan 21, 2017.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I need a manual for a 2004 GSXR600. Would you recommend OEM or a Clymer/Haynes service manual? Typically I go for the Haynes or Clymer based on availability, but I figured I would ask the Tech denizens for their recommendation.

For context, I am rebuilding a race bike into a street bike and need to sort out the wiring harness up front and where plugs go (and don't go...) and so I can verify if I need to source any missing street bits. Therefore, pictures would be most helpful.

So, which manual would you select? And I don't want an electronic service manual, I want to have it in my greasy hands as I'm working on this thing.

2. OEM but make sure it's an updated/revised version. Most of the OEM's will fix mis prints and revise, yamaha in particular if you get an old version of an R1 manual (like what's available online/pirated) it will tell you to torque the rear wheel to some insane number like 115ftlbs. People were wrecking their axles doing that. OEM manual and common sense.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The OEM gives clear illustrations of wiring, plumbing and cable routing.

Clymer/Haynes always seem to be some grainy, under-exposed pic that only shows how many pixels were used to make the image and they're written by some mechanic/technician who learned about the bike by ripping it apart and putting it back together...same as anyone else without an OEM manual.
    Of course, they could have gotten better over the years but...when it comes to specs? I'd bet they're going on bolt size/thread pitch/material to determine torque values and using generalized specs for clearances, etc.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks. I always trusted one of the two "aftermarket" manuals, but I always forget which one until I buy the wrong one. I just have little experience with the OEM manuals, so I thought I would ask.

To get the latest version of the OEM service manual, do I order from the dealer, or can I order from another online source?

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Dealer doesn't take long and you can pretty much be assured of included updates. They ain't cheap, but they're cheaper than a valve adjustment.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I try to buy OEM. The nice thing about the aftermarket ones, is they occasionally give you a work around for special tools.

7. skee

skee # 358

anyone have a link to buying OEM manuals online? looking for one for a 2006 GSXR 1k

8. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Hmmm. Do I need Autolite spark plugs or the NGK/Denso that worked so great when the motorcycle was new and under a warranty. Ohhh maybe a FRAM will do a better job than the filter that was spec'ed by the engineers that had to think about passing an OEM testing regimen. Yeah, a Haynes based company knows the proper way to do things when the OEM doesn't, cause they talked to the engineers that designed it.

I always find this funny. Not trying to knock anyone here. But if 5 minutes is spent thinking about the hoops an OEM goes through to make sure its product is ready, serviceable, and supplied it is a no-brainier. The aftermarket doesn't give a shit, it is actively looking for loop holes in patents, copying produced material , and couldn't give a flip if your unit craps it self. Cause they don't have to pay for a warranty failure.

And the US market keeps wondering why prices keep going up every year... Yes, Amsoil will help. Yes, Nology wires work. Yes, K&N will help protect your motor. . . .

Most OEM's have a specific site for manuals or a dealer can always get you a paper manual. Typing in "Suzuki Service Manual" in Google quickly pulls up the official Suzuki site as the first choice.:clap:

skee likes this.
  9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

OEM all the way. They are so vastly superior to Haynes/Clymer it's not even funny, IMO. I will gladly pay the 4x the cost for OEM if I can't find a used one.