1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Numbers / Rules ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Prov431, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

I was reading the rulebook and and started wondering about my number situation. I was hoping someone could help clarify it for me.
    I'm # 180 Nesba, 780 ccs, 980 wera. I use black electrical tape to extend the number 1 into a 7 for ccs and had planned on making the number 1 into a 9 for wera with the same proceedure. Only problem I see is that the rule book makes mention of having the proper amount of yellow background behind the number, which when I do the number change, the electrical tape extends outside the yellow boarder to compensate for the correct size. Can this DQ me or fail tech, or is this common practice as long as the number is completely legible? I sure would appreciate any input or other suggestions.
    Thanks!

2. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

no DQ & it will pass tech... HOWEVER if your numbers suck (like going outside the yellow) the possibility exisits that you will not get scored. :eek:

What looks like an OK number to you is often unreadable to the scorers when you come past at 100-plus mph. If the scorers have to even blink to concentrate on YOUR sucky number, they miss 10 other bikes. This is especially true in the novice classes: large fields with lots of bikes in a pack.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2002
  3. RobeyRacer

RobeyRacer Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Numbers / Rules ?

And then I have to listen to my wife and the other scorers either complaining about you are laughing at you:D ;)

4. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

Cool beans

I appreciate the info. I've only done 5 separate races to date, and so far no issues with scoring. I will definately keep what you said in mind though, especially since I believe making the 1 into a 9 is more ugly than making it into a 7, and perhaps I can get a couple sets of professionally made #'s from Fab. Tech. to help my cause.
    Thanks again.

5. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Re: Re: Re: Numbers / Rules ?

Hehe...don't tell them we do that. ;)

Seriously Prov, come by where the officials/scorers are and ask if we think the #s are OK. Thanks for being concerned!! :)

6. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

Ok that's a great idea....I'll do that. I appreciate the help!

7. Fabri-Tech Designs

Fabri-Tech Designs Well-Known Member

numbers...

Hey Dan....

Do you have room on your yellow background for 6 inch numbers?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the WERA rulebook specifies that the numbers on the tail be 6 inches tall (minimum) and the numbers on the front be 8 inches tall (minimum), and that there is at least 1 inch of yellow all the way around the numbers.

Is this correct?

Let me know if you need anything.....

Thanks,

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Tech is pretty lenient about the numbers since it really is the scoring that will punish you if your numbers suck.

Out of 7 races I have been scored in the wrong position twice. The first one was when I had #510 on each side of the front fairing(RC-51). I was new and not sure of what I could do or not do. Tony at tech suggested covering one set of the numbers... the one opposite of the scorers. I have only been scored wrong once since then and it was actually where another rider was assumed to be a lap ahead but he wasn't. (aka Those damn GSXR don't always beat the RCs :D ). Paige has said to me that covering up the one side helps alot.

I don't know if my first scoring error had anything to do with my numbers. My guess is they were trying to concentrate on the leaders as they were passing me again... and again... ;)

The real point to my post is that they aren't really that strict and I suggest talking to the scorers for recommendations if you are outside the norm.