1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice 1999 r6

Discussion in 'General' started by MMX, Sep 27, 2011.

1. MMX

MMX Well-Known Member

So I Have been lurking trying to find a way to get on the track being novice.. I called a old friend up and just so happen that his father has a 1999 r6 race bike he traded for with 2500 miles.. I looked at it and it seems nice and safty wired already, has a nice high mount full exhaust also..
    Price is 1900.00
    I'm about to jump on it.. But I thought I would ask if you all thought it would be a good deal.. And I'm sure performance would be "just ok" in 600 novice correct?
    This thing would prob be vintage also? Lol

2. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

If it get you on the grid faster, jump it!

3. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

not yet but they're working on it maybe for next year (though dont take my word for it)

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

There was a novice running on the podium at Barber a year or two ago on a 99 R6 I believe. It'll force you to ride better IMO. I actually really enjoy riding the modern classes with my 1995 F3. Sure, I don't get out of the corners as fast, but I don't think it really makes that big of a difference. I make mistakes: I get passed. New bikes make mistakes: I pass them.

5. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

I have a 00 model (same as 99) and i have no problem running with and outrunning modern bikes. I can run 1:37's all day at Barber with a personal best of 1:35. Buy it!!!

6. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

one of the best things I did as an amatuer was not ride the sickest bike ever...It was older and down on power...but it made me learn to ride it harder to keep up. You are always going to be at a disadvantage in someway in racing....its good to learn how to make a slow bike fast. Then you get on a good bike....

7. MMX

MMX Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I was looking from building my rc51 to my stunter f4i but I found this bike set up..if you all have any parts let me know..

8. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

9. MMX

MMX Well-Known Member

Nice! Lol

10. backbone

backbone scarred for life

[​IMG]

Really, just get out on whatever you can find. Then you can always save up for something else.

11. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

I dont know where you are located, but I have a race ready 98 F3 I'd let go for $1500, then you could have a competetive bike you could run in V7 class's and modern for more track time. Lance

12. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I'd say to get it, but just be aware that the manufacturers of bodywork, rearsets, and stuff like that usually go back 7-10 years in fitment, and they stop making parts for the older bikes. When I stopped racing my '01 GSXR750 in 2008, stuff was just getting harder to find. You can get it, but it will not be as widely available, and usually not at discount.

13. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

if sharkskinz ever made something its easily to get them to make another set

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Buy it!
    I bought one from Tom Hughey a couple years ago. Was a great bike. This past year the guy I sold it to called me because he was selling it. Friend of mine bought it back. We then raced it at an endurance Round at Nelson. I was able to do decent times without even touching the suspension.
    The bike can still be "competitive".
    Parts are definitely still available as my friend bought Woodcraft rearsets and vortex clip ons with no availability problems, CRG levers too...

Ride safe,
    AAron

15. r6racer75

r6racer75 Well-Known Member

One of my biggest regrets is selling my 00 R6. Get it and run the piss out of it. Its a great bike to start on. And you can be competitive on it. The last year I ran it I was running in the top 10 in expert class - cough cough in uh C...C...S cough against the field running 06 and 07s

16. MMX

MMX Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!!! I'm working out a deal with them unless something more modern pops up..

17. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

If you get it, I've got some old stock plastics and exhaust muffler from when I had one. I loved that bike when I had it, just did few track days with it and mostly street rode it.
    Good luck with it! Maybe someday I'm down that way I could stop by and look at it.

18. Fastjedi350

Fastjedi350 Well-Known Member

Want to talk about hard to find parts I have a 99 R7. Sharkskins will make the bodywork I just have to call and wait mabey a week longer but it gets done!

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Wait, you have an r7 and are looking for sympathy?

20. Fastjedi350

Fastjedi350 Well-Known Member

Oh no not at all! It's still a pain in the ass to get parts tho!